1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 2, 2021 6:47 AM by James Turner

    Seeking copy of 5th Special Forces Group Special Order 69-0054

    James Turner Newbie

      Looking for a copy of 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Special Order 69-0054, dated 2/23/1969, awarding the Combat Infantry Badge (1st Award) to a group of Special Forces Soldiers. The current copy I have is extremely faded and barely legible.

        • Re: Seeking copy of 5th Special Forces Group Special Order 69-0054
          Zachary Dabbs Scout

          Dear Mr. Turner,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) as it may include a copy of Special Order 69-0054. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          In addition, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Award Files, 1964 - 1972 of the 5th Special Forces Group in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that may include a copy of the general order awarding the Combat Infantry Badge. Special orders usually were placed in the individual’s OMPF and only occasionally kept at the unit level. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful.