2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2021 11:44 AM by Lisha Penn

    Looking for Army service records of Frederick Elzie (Valentine) Waymire


      I'm looking for details of my grandfather's WWI Army service. I know he served in the trenches in France and was gassed but survived. I do not know what unit he served in or the dates of his service. I don't know any of his service record numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

        • Re: Looking for Army service records of Frederick Elzie (Valentine) Waymire
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information hope you find it useful. WW1 and WW2 Draft cards and VA BIRLS. I would also contact the VA for additional information he may have filled a claim over the years.


          Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/140063681/fred-elzie-waymire


          Name:Fred Elizie Waymire
          Birth Date:8 Jan 1896
          Death Date:8 Feb 1972
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:10 Apr 1918
          Discharge Date:14 Jul 1919





          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for Army service records of Frederick Elzie (Valentine) Waymire
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Waymire,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records of Engineer Regiments and Battalions, 1912 -1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that include the records of the 28th Engineers during WWI. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of Company E. Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the battalion or regiment.


            We also located the Lists of Incoming Passengers, 1917 - 1938 and Lists of Outgoing Passengers, 1917 - 1938 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that may include the lists on which the soldiers of the Company E, 28th Engineer Regiment were sent to France and back to the U.S. during WWI. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact (RDT2).


            These records have been digitized by Ancestry and may be viewed online at U.S., Army Transport Service Arriving and Departing Passenger Lists, 1910-1939. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Lastly, we located a publication of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers titled Combat and Construction: U.S. Army Engineers in World War I by Charles Hendericks that may provide some information about what your grandfather did during WWI.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!