12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2021 2:16 PM by Lynne Eie

Seeking Thomas Wilson at Camp Dennison, Ohio

Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hi, does anyone know if there are any records for Camp Dennison, Ohio around the time of 1853? I am looking for information on a Thomas H. Wilson born Ireland, who died there of typhoid in 1853. I know he would have been buried there and later moved to Spring Grove in Cincinnati, and that grave does exist.  But I am trying to find out more about him, any enlistment etc...Thank you.

• Re: Seeking Thomas Wilson at Camp Dennison, Ohio
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms.Eie,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Because Camp Dennison, Ohio, was not established until 1861, there are no records concerning the camp from 1853.

If he served in the Regular U.S. Army, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 and Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 (M233) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include may include military service files of the Regular Army for Thomas Wilson.  For information about the non-digitized Enlistment Papers and M233, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

M233 has been digitized and is available on Fold3 as Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; on Ancestry as U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914; and on FamilySearch as United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914. There may be a fee for using Ancestry and Fold3. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

If he served in a volunteer organization from Ohio, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Muster Rolls of Volunteer Organizations In Various Indian Wars and Other Incidents Requiring the Employment of Troops, 1794 - 1858  in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that may include rolls of units from Ohio. For more information about these non-digitized records, please email RDT1 at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If he served in as a volunteer from Ohio, we suggest contacting the Ohio History Connection for assistance in determining what unit he served with.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
              Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hello again, thank you Jason, I feel very badly, but after the original post about Camp Dennison originating in 1861, I realized that I had mistaken the date of his death. I had to go back and look it up again, but I did managed to find the record. There was a man named Thomas Wilson who died in 1862 at Camp Dennison. He was regular army, and he was the one I was interested in more information on. The record is on Ancestry: Thomas Wilson, died 31 October 1862, Place given is G H Cp Dennison, Ohio, Rank Private, Company B, Regiment 78th Infantry. Box 47. When I look at the record itself, the cause of death was typhoid fever. I apologize for my error!

I am not sure of the age of the man in this record, actually. The Thomas Wilson I am looking for was born in 1823, Ireland.  Or, rather, he was age 22 on 2 April 1845 when he was married in Gibraltar. He was with the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, then posted to Quebec, arriving July 1848, and his third child is baptized in Montreal, January 1849. Baptismal record says he is "of Montreal", so I think he left the 79th as they stayed posted in Quebec and were sent back to England in July 1851.  In 1850 the family immigrated to the US and the family was in Cincinnati during the Civil War.

I apologize again for my error. Lynne

Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Eie,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We searched the National Park Service’s Civil War Soldier System and located 676 soldiers named Thomas Wilson who fought for the Union.  Of these, 26 are listed as Thomas H. Wilson, however many in the first search result do not have a middle initial given, so we can not exclude them as possible matches. 1 of the soldiers listed as Thomas H. Wilson served in an Ohio unit, the 155th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard).

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series General Index to Civil War and Later Pension Files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that includes index cards for the pensions of 37 different soldiers named Thomas Wilson who were married to a Mary Wilson.  We are attaching the cards for two soldiers that served in Ohio units and may be matches to the end of our reply. Please note that not all soldiers that served in the Civil War had pensions, therefore many soldiers are not documented in this record series.  The full pension files to which this series is an index have not been digitized and are not available online.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Indexes to the Carded Records of Soldiers Who Served in Volunteer Organizations During the Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes index cards for 63 soldiers named Thomas Wilson who served in Ohio units, including  [Ohio] Wilson, Thomas H - 155th National Guard, Infantry, Company H; [Ohio] Wilson, Thomas - 80th Infantry, Company H; and [Ohio] Wilson, Thomas - 192nd Infantry, Company [Blank]. These records have been digitized and are available online through the Catalog. However, the index card does not indicate age or place of birth.

The index cards indicate that there should be corresponding Combined Military Service Records (CMSRs) for these individuals in the record series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). Unfortunately, most records for Ohio Volunteers have not been microfilmed or digitized. Please note that the information recorded about soldiers varies greatly. While age is often given, it is not always given.  Precise dates of birth and places of birth are typically not provided. Information about family members is not included in the CMSR.

For more information about these non-digitized CMSRs and pension files, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Additionally, you may wish to review our Civil War topic page for general information about researching individuals who served during the war.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lynne,

Just to help you clarify the record is he served under Capt. Dennison and not Camp Dennison. Here is some information for you these are OH grave registration index cards.

Also look at the War 1812 Land Bounty Records.

Look at the bottom of the graves registration card and it tells you service dates. Here is where he is buried originally and then follow second link to where he currently is buried like you mentioned. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68176137/thomas-willson  second link: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/116002009/john-thomas-wilson

1850s Census:

Name:Thomas Wilson
                Birth Year:abt 1767
                Birthplace:New York
                Home in 1850:Middlefield, Geauga, Ohio, USA
                Industry:Agriculture
                Line Number:27
                Dwelling Number:162
                Family Number:165
                Household MembersAge
                S L Wilson47
                Lydia Wilson43
                Lawran Wilson19
                Rachel Wilson17
                Hubbard Wilson15
                Henry Wilson13
                Caroline Wilson12
                Abigail Wilson10
                Ann Wilson5
                Richard Wilson2
                P Eveerts67
                Thomas Wilson83

2 people found this helpful
                    Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hi Elliot, I made a terrible mistake in the year of death above. The year he died was 1862, and the place was C.H.P. Dennison, Ohio.  I wrote more in my reply to Jason above, and gave more information. I am so sorry for my error. His last daughter was born in 1854, so the Thomas H. Wilson I am looking for was born in Ireland in 1823 and died somerime after 1854 ... It is possible the man who died at Camp Dennison is not my Thomas H Wilson at all, but that man was Regular Army and that caught my eye as I have read that British soldiers often emigrated or simply abandoned ship in Canada and crossed the border to move to the US and then often enlisted in the US Army.

But thank you so much for your research! I am so impressed and wishing I had gotten that date right from the start.

Sincerely, Lynne Eie

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lynne,

Thank you for clarifying the dates of birth and especially the death date. Here is his Ohio Graves registration card, for the correct Thomas Wilson you are seeking. Please  take special attention on where he is buried.

2 people found this helpful
                            Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hi Elliot, thank you for this... then it seems the Thomas Wilson who died at Camp Dennison is not the man I am looking for after all. He was born in 1843 and mine was born around 1823.  That was disappointing, but it is what it is. And thank you too for the burial information, because I had read that all the men who died at the camp were buried there then moved to Spring Grove. Good to know! I will look more closely at Spring Grove, maybe if I look at plot companions and do some digging there... perhaps something will turn up. THANK YOU!!!! Lynne

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lynne,

I would not discredit this information the DOB on that grave registration card could be wrong. However, additional question would be did you have family information that may have clues that he died of the disease that is listed on the card or if he survived the war. Question again was he ever married can check widow records as well. Maybe a wifes name?

1 person found this helpful
                                    Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hi Elliot, I never thought of using her name, mostly because she called herself Mary Wilson, which is so hard to distinguish.  I suspect he died between 1853 and 1860, although... it is hard to know for sure. 

I know he was alive in 1853 as they had a daughter who was born in 1854. I know he is most likely dead by 1870 because the boys were older and the family moved to Kentucky and they were farming in Alexandria. The 1860 census is more iffy, only because I did some research on life in the regiment for soldiers and came across some information that said their wives often did soldier's laundry and sewing repairs, so the women often worked. And on the 1860 census she is listed as head of the family and working as a laundress. So, he could have been dead, or off to soldiering and she was working as she would have in the Regiment to support the four children. The oldest would have been 13, and likely doing small jobs, as the younger boy was 11 and he apparently served as a cabin boy during the Civil War, per his obit. I have no idea if such records would exist, but he was born in Dec.

A friend found their Gibraltar marriage record under Mary Wilson, born 1820 in reality, altho on her marriage record she gave her age as younger, 20, born 1825. But I found her actual baptism in 1820 in Gibraltar. Her husband, Thomas Wilson, gave his age as 22 and his parents as Thomas Wilson and Mary Brien. If he was 22 when he was married, then he was 16 when the 79th Highlanders went thru Dublin, per Regiment hx and that is the youngest they were accepting at the time. So, I am rather certain that was his correct age. And from church records, I do know he was in Montreal in January 1849. I have two signatures of his on marriage and that baptism, so I know he could read and write and what his signature looked like.  Then per the family censuses they immigrated in 1850 and in 1854 the youngest daughter was born.

His wife's maiden name was Susanna Maria Collumine, but it seems she mostly used Mary Wilson as her married name.  She is in Cinci in 1860, then Alexandria, KY in 1870 and in 1880 she has returned to Gibraltar and lives with her widowed sister the rest of her life. There she used her maiden name.

So I have no census info for her husband at all. Just piecing things together. And I am not sure when he died or of what. So this may be impossible. But... I thought perhaps here, I might find more.

There is a small chance... ok, I have been looking for possible family and there was another man, Christopher Wilson who was a farmer, and he had a son in 1858... just checking that...yes, 1858 named Thomas H. Wilson. And Christopher also served in the Civil War it looks like. He would have been one year older than the man I am looking for. And he also immigrated in 1850. He married in Ohio. I have no idea if he also served in the British Army, but he immigrated the same year and his son was given the name of a possible brother... although Wilson is a bit like Smith, so it is hard to know. He was however, Presbyterian, and I have a message in to the Presbyterian church in Cinci asking how one researches old documents. Because if I could find anything to link them as brothers, or maybe just find the baptism of Thomas' daughter born in 1854.... but I am waiting for their response.

That said, perhaps there are military records that link the two?

It is a long shot though. So, any ideas or advice on your part are much appreciated!

Thank you, Lynne

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lynne,

Here is another Thomas H. Wilson grave card.

You mentioned Christopher Wilson this man had a son Thomas H. Wilson as well https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/187044174/thomas-h.-wilson

Birth Date:Abt 1859
                                        Birthplace:Ohio
                                        Home in 1880:Colerain, Hamilton, Ohio, USA
                                        Dwelling Number:19
                                        Race:White
                                        Relation to Head of House:Son
                                        Marital Status:Single
                                        Father's Name:Christopher Wilson
                                        Father's Birthplace:Ireland
                                        Mother's Name:Cecila Wilson
                                        Mother's Birthplace:Ireland
                                        Neighbors:
                                        Household MembersAgeRelationship
                                        Christopher Wilson63Self (Head)
                                        Cecila Wilson42Wife
                                        Thomas Wilson21Son
                                        John Wilson19Son
                                        Sarah Wilson15Daughter
                                        Annie Wilson12Daughter
                                        James Wilson9Son
                                        George Wilson7Son
                                        Emma Wilson1Daughter

Here is something I found regarding 1860s Census for a Mary Wilson and look where she is born Gibrilatar and look you were right Jenny Wilson supposedly was born in 1854

Then the younger Thomas Jr.  was born in 1849 he was 11 in 1860

Birth Year:abt 1849
                                        Birth Place:Canada

Name:Mary Wilson
                                        Birth Year:abt 1822
                                        Birth Place:Gibraltar
                                        Home in 1860:Cincinnati Ward 13, Hamilton, Ohio
                                        Post Office:Cincinnati
                                        Dwelling Number:119
                                        Family Number:181
                                        Personal Estate Value:40
                                        Household MembersAge
                                        Mary Wilson38
                                        John Wilson14
                                        Elizabeth Wilson13
                                        Thomas Wilson11
                                        Jenny Wilson6

Also found this Newspaper Article Regarding Mary E. Columine

-

Lynne Eie Wayfarer

Hi Elliot,

Thank you! You have found much of what I have found. I love that article about the cabin boy, but some things did not check out after more research. I did not find a Lord Davenport in Canada at all. The only Lord Davenport who I found alive at that time was not in Canada. So, I don't know about that detail.

I know his wife always said she was born in Malta, but her parents were married in Gibraltar and she herself was baptized there and her baptism says the family was from Gibraltar. But it could be he was a sailor, so who knows? Maybe she was born in Malta on a sailing trip and then baptized in Gibraltar. But she and her sisters were orphans rather young. So it is hard to know for sure.

I think I may submit a search to the National Archive for Thomas H Wilson with the few facts that I DO know. 

And re Chris Wilson, yes, I am still waiting to hear back from that church. I sent a second email. I may try to call later this week and see what they say. I found Chris "Willson" living in Cinci in 1860 and he was a carpenter. The youngest son of Thomas H Wilson, the cabin boy, he also was a carpenter... so there seems to be the potential? But I am not sure.  So church records and National Archives I think might be the best routes at this point?

Thank you SO much! I am curious about the grave registration card and Bellevue. That is definitely something to look into.

Thank you again, best, Lynne

Lynne Eie Wayfarer

oops, the son of Thomas H Wilson who served as a cabin boy was also named Thomas H Wilson and he was born Dec 1848. He was one baptized in 1849 in Montreal. He worked as a carpenter and lived most of his life in Newport, KY.  

Thomas was a family name so it is hard to keep track of all of them, but to make MY tree easier, I think of the Thomas I have been looking for, the Irish soldier who served in the British army, as Thomas H Sr and his son as Thomas H, Jr.  They are my leading players here.

But Thomas H. Sr had a father named Thomas too. Which I found out later... and Thomas H. Jr. later has a son, who also served in WW1, I believe. But it was his sister who was my great grandmother, so I have not really concerned myself with "newer" Thomases. Those records are easier to find too. If/when I ever get there.

But middle of the 1800s things get much more difficult to find, and one needs to know where to look. That is why I turned to this group.

Anyway, goodness, too many facts maybe, but I thought perhaps if I gave you all I knew, it would make things easier? I hope! I am truly thankful for your patience and your assistance.

Best, Lynne