2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2021 12:07 PM by Evelyn Harris

Seeking deposition of Catherine McLucas for widow's pension

Evelyn Harris Adventurer

My great-great grandmother Catherine Wright Kinney McLucas applied for her late husband's military pension in the early 1900's. Her last husband name was Wylie McLucas and they lived in Marlboro County, South Carolina. Wylie died in 1896 and he had been a member of the United States Colored Troops, 135th Division. Her first husband (and my great-great grandfather Aaron Kinney) also served in the USCT 135th Division. I have seen a copy of the deposition and wanted to know how I can get a copy of the original deposition and application.

• Re: Seeking deposition of Catherine McLucas for widow's pension
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Harris,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the General Index to Civil War and Later Pension Files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that includes index cards for the pension of Wylie McLucas of the 135th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment.  We are attaching the cards to the end of our reply.

The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). To request a search and order copies of military pension application files based on Federal (not State or Confederate) service during the Civil War, please complete a NATF Form 85 and mail it to the address on the form. Please attach copies of the index cards to your order.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!