1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2021 1:09 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking records of Civilian Conservation Corps Camp 1294

Charles Lupico Newbie

I’m seeking records of Civilian Conservation Corps Camp 1294, Camp Dix, NJ. My question regards my father’s (Joseph F. Lupico, Serial No. CCC2-170399) service in the Civilian Conservation Corp. I’ve recently forwarded the required form (14136) to NARA to request a copy of his records but I don’t expect any results in the foreseeable future. However, it appears that the situation may not be so clear cut. His CCC discharge indicates that he enrolled on 18 June 1935 at Camp Dix, NJ and was honorably discharged on 17 November 1936 from Company 1294, Camp # A2, Camp Dix, NJ. The back of his discharge indicates that all of his CCC service was performed at Camp Dix. I can remember as a child, my Pop telling me that he fought forest fires in Idaho, and I recently came across some photographs of him as a boxer at a CCC camp in Ardsley, NY as well as some of CCC personnel, marked Idaho (near Boulder Mountain) in his scrapbook which leads me to believe that: 1. He may have served more than 1 hitch in the CCCs or 2. That Company 1294 might have been eliminated and personnel deployed to other companies to fight forest fires in Idaho. I’d be most appreciative of any assistance that you can provide to point me in the right direction to continue my research.

• Re: Seeking records of Civilian Conservation Corps Camp 1294
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Lupico,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Camp Inspection Reports, 1933 - 1942 in the Records of the Civilian Conservation Corps (Record Group 35) that includes the file New Jersey: AF-2 – Fort Dix, Burlington County that may be relevant to your research. These records have not been digitized. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located the series "Happy Days" Newspapers, 5/20/1933-10/26/1940 in Record Group 35 that includes 18 references to Co. 1294 and 51 references to Camp Dix that might contain some useful information. These records have been digitized and can be viewed online using the Catalog.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, since some CCC records are held locally, we suggest that you contact the New Jersey State Archives for additional information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!