4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2021 2:20 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking to review personal records from NARA

Wiseone Search Newbie

I am interested in retrieving and reviewing personal records from NARA. My problem is that I can no longer remember what type of records I have available. Is there a way I can retrieve a full, or brief summary of records available? Thanks.

• Re: Seeking to review personal records from NARA
          J. Andrew Scout

Could you please clarify what you are looking for?  Are you a former military service member or federal employee looking for your personnel file?  If so, could you provide more details about when you served, military or civilian, branch of service or agency, etc.?

Or are you looking for information about all records of all types in the National Archives?

Also, is there some specific information you are trying to find, topic you are trying to research, or need you have for the records?

1 person found this helpful
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Wiseone Search,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you are a veteran searching for your service records, we suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you were a federal civilian employee, we suggest that you request a copy of your Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center Annex. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access website.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL still will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

To locate potentially relevant records other than personnel files (OMPFs or OPFs), we would need more information from you. If you can provide any specific details, we may be able to direct you to additional resources.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
              Wiseone Search Newbie

Thanks guys. Your responses were very helpful. Most of the answers I've seen here I'm already aware of. I recalled that it was possible for one to retrieve documents such as retired civilian medical records, old presidential pardons, state and federal accommodations as well. It is my memory that you can request these type of records through the NARA website as opposed to the NPRC. Is anyone aware of this?