2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2021 9:43 AM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking military records of Robert Whiting

Matt Whiting Newbie

Hi, I'm looking for my father, who disappeared under mysterious circumstances, around 1986 to 1988). He lived in point Richmond, California at a place called the "New Todd Hotel", right next to the train tracks and "The Plunge." He also frequently went to "The Mac Hotel" and other places down in Pt. Richmond. His name is Robert Christopher Whiting, DOB 10-04-1946, born in Des Moines, Iowa. He was a Air Force veteran, from the late 1960s. He received a honorable discharge.

Even using his Social Security Number, date of birth, place of birth, and full name, I have not been able to find out anything about him. Maybe he was under witness protection program or a federal agent. I contacted the VA they sent a letter stating he died on June 24, 1988, but had no other information. I rewrote the VA and they never returned a answer. I've searched every Death index I could find but couldn't find a death certificate,  I couldn't get a DD-214 without a death certificate.  I have no clue on what to do next.  Any suggestions?

• Re: Seeking military records of Robert Whiting
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Whiting,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you haven’t already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you contact the California Department of Public Health to request a search for his death certificate using the information furnished by the VA. You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years. In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for California Vital Records may be helpful.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking military records of Robert Whiting
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Matt,

Here is some information.

Name:Robert C Whiting[Chris Whiting][Robert Whiting]
            Birth Date:20 Nov 1945
            Residence Date:1986
            Phone Number:968-8485
            Address:8702 McKenna Way
            Residence:Louisville, KY
            Postal Code:40291-2759
            Second Residence Date:1986