1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2021 12:24 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking records of 17th Medical Support Platoon

    Ragui Michael Wayfarer

      Hello, I am searching for information about the sender of a letter dated May 1943. The sender information is shown in the attached image. The sender is a Lieutenant from the 17th Medical Support Platoon during WWII. What is the 17 Medical Support Platoon? What is 17 A. D. G.? I know APO 616. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking records of 17th Medical Support Platoon
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ragui Michael,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The 17th ADG most likely stands for the 17th Air Depot Group, and the 17th Medical Support Platoon would have been attached to the ADG. Larger units frequently had supply, medical, and other support units attached to them to provide for the logistical, health, and other needs of the unit.


          The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 36 files related to the 17th Air Depot Group (ADG) during World War II. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. Since the reel numbers begin with A or B, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information about them.


          If you have not done so already, we also suggest that you request a copy of the individual’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army and Army Air Force who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          In addition, we located the Department of Defense publication Medical Support of the Army Air Forces in WWII that you may wish to review, and finally, we suggest that you contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424 for further assistance.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!