2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2021 9:59 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military records for Artie Nicholson

    Adam Yokley Newbie

      Is it possible to get military records for service member that died in WWII? I have a friend that is wanting to know how his uncle died in World War II. He was KIA in Italy in October 1944.  He is trying to find out what happened and the circumstances around it. The soldier’s name was Artie B.  Nicholson.

        • Re: Seeking military records for Artie Nicholson
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Yokley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If your friend has not done so already, we suggest that your friend requests a copy of Artie Nicholson’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes1 file for Artie B. Nicholson, Jr. If this is the same individual you are researching, please ask your friend to use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The information your friend seeks also may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          • Re: Seeking military records for Artie Nicholson
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information. On WW2 Hospital Admission Cards Index. According to the Interment card it states he was with the 350th Infantry Regiment which is apart of the 88th Infantry Division.


            Name:Artie B Nicholson
            Race:White, includes Mexican (White)
            Rank:Enlisted Man
            Admission Age:24
            Birth Date:abt 1920
            Admission Date:Oct 1944
            Discharge Date:Oct 1944
            Military Branch:Infantry, General or Unspecified
            Diagnosis:SecondLocation: Body, upper part or portion of; ; CausativeAgent: Artillery Shell, Fragments, Afoot or unspecified
            Type of Injury:Casualty, battle
            Injured in Line of Duty:In line of duty
            Type of Discharge:Died
            Service Number:34188892


            1 person found this helpful