1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2021 8:59 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Looking for my father's DD-214

    Antonio Morales Newbie

      Not sure if my father served in any branch of service. I'm attempting to get assistance for my mother (Has dementia), she claims that my father might have served in the Army. He passed away 09--05-1990.

        • Re: Looking for my father's DD-214
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Morales,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          If your father served in the U.S. Army during World War II, we suggest that you search the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) series World War II Army Enlistment Records that may include a file related to your father. If you locate an entry for him, please use the information in the file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!