1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2021 3:05 PM by Zachary Dabbs

Seeking State Department investigation into death of Salvador Saucedo

Vincent Larralde Newbie

I am looking for the Department of State investigation into the death of a Mexican Man named Salvador Saucedo accused of killing Maria Schroeder in Rio Hondo, Texas in 1921. The man was ultimately deemed innocent by officials after his death but I am trying to determine whether or not the man was killed by an enraged mob like local newspaper clippings first indicated or that was used as a cover up and Cameron County local county sheriffs happened to kill him. I am having difficulty locating the investigation which is located somewhere in the Department of State Record Group 59, possibly 311.1221 which I cannot located in the online Catalog. If anyone can be of help id greatly appreciate it.  If you need any more information please just let me know.

• Re: Seeking State Department investigation into death of Salvador Saucedo
          Zachary Dabbs Scout

Dear Mr. Larralde,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Name Index, 1910 - 1973 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that may assist you in locating records regarding Salvador Saucedo. In addition, the Central Decimal Files, 1910 - 1963 in Record Group 59 includes files under decimal 311.1221 in the 1910-1929 segment of the series. Only a portion of this series has been digitized. For more information regarding the non-digitized records please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please consult NARA’s Central Decimal Files, 1910-1963 web page for additional information and resources regarding this series and its arrangement. The Central Decimal File Hints and the Classification of Correspondence, August 1910 - December 1949 reference papers are particularly useful.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful