1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2021 9:34 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking records of LTDS David Murray in France

    Deborah Beno Newbie

      I would like to find my mother's cousin, LTDS David Murray 0-1551280. My mother (who was 8 years old) got letters from him. The V-Mail stated he was stationed in England on Jan 11, 1944, England on May 11, 1944, France on July 31, 1944, France on October 27, 1944, Germany on April 9, 1945, and France on Sept 3, 1945. One letter states that they found a stray puppy and named it D-Day.  How do I find his records?

        • Re: Seeking records of LTDS David Murray in France
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Beno,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!