2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2021 8:50 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military records for Raymond Thompson

    Elisabeth Pray Newbie

      I am seeking military records for my great-uncle, Raymond Russell Thompson who served in both World War I and II. He was a reservist, and during WW II was a General. According to family stories, he was part of the program to introduce penicillin to the military hospitals in or near war zones in Europe.

        • Re: Seeking military records for Raymond Thompson
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Pray,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking military records for Raymond Thompson
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information for you. Is this where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135690709/raymond-r.-thompson


            Could you provide some additional information such as a DOB, place of birth, and DOD any information would be helpful.