5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2021 8:49 AM by Ethan Kent

Hebrew language page

Catherine Sullivan Adventurer

Here's another one for Henry Rosenberg, or anyone else with this ability!

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/early-copyright/copyright-title-pages-1810-1815/2019713414/2019713414-817/

• Re: Hebrew language page
          Henry Rosenberg Pioneer

I didn't see this because you did not tag me with my link. Henry Rosenberg

Someone accepted it but I am requesting it be reopened. We'll get it.

Henry

Catherine Sullivan Adventurer

Here's a newspaper page in Hebrew font:

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/rough-rider-bull-moose-theodore-roosevelt/ex-president/mss382990097/mss382990097-790/

Thought you'd like to see it!

Catherine

1 person found this helpful
                  Henry Rosenberg Pioneer

That's interesting Catherine but I'm afraid it's beyond my ability level.

Ethan Kent Adventurer

Hello, Ms. Sullivan.

My name is Ethan -- and in 1911 2 of my (Jewish) grandparents were still in Eastern Europe (both probably knowing Yiddish and/or with that language as their 1st language), another grandparent was about 5 years old in Brooklyn (and almost-certainly had Yiddish as his 1st language), and the final grandparent was a baby (born in May of 1910; her parents settled in New York City in 1898 -- with those of her siblings who were already born at the time of emigration) on the Lower East Side of Manhattan (not far from the office location of the newspaper in the scanned/digitized clipping you provided a link to) -- and (again) seems to me to have had Yiddish as her 1st language (before she attended public school).

You are more-or-less correct that the non-Roman "font" is "Hebrew", but the language in question (read in newspapers in 1911 in the US by many more Jews than Hebrew itself, I believe) is Yiddish.

(Unfortunately, I never learned to read any languages printed in the Hebrew alphabet very well (beyond prayers in Hebrew or Aramaic with "vocalization" /vowel marks), so I would not want to take a stab at transcribing Yiddish myself (English and French are more comfortable for me) -- but the newspaper in question was the Jewish Morning Journal (Yiddish title  (English-language Wikipedia's current article on it's "romanized") "Der Morgen Zshurnal") -- which lasted from 1901 to 1971 ("Jewish Morning Journal" at English-language Wikipedia will bring you more information)... -- and I actually just added a left-out "N" in "MORNING" in the transcription of its (small) English-language masthead seen in the clipping I accessed via your link.)

(My little correction was the 1st time I had worked with By the People in a few years; I do hope that someone who feels "up to" transcribing Yiddish with an electronic Internet-friendly device will be able to complete (at least more of) the transcription.)

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving (or are still enjoying one).

Ethan Kent/"EthanFromBellmore" -- in New York City.

PS: The headline of the article which is the reason for the clipping seems to be something like  (transliterated) Di Niye Progressiiveh Lig (in English, "The New Progressive League") ; I think this is probably connected to Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 Progressive/"Bull Moose" Party and run for the Presidency.

(The date of the article is (in English) from January of 1911.)

Ethan.

Henry Rosenberg Pioneer

In fact Abby already reopened it and I fixed the page. If you want me to do more Hebrew just tag me with the link I pasted above.

Thanks,

Henry