2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2021 8:30 AM by Susan Borland

    Seeking information about the 207th Coast Artillery unit during  WWII

    Susan Borland Newbie

      I am doing a research project on my uncle who was stationed in Greenland in WWII.   He was originally part of the NY Guard which was federalized into the 207th and I'm trying to research when his unit would have been in Greenland and in what role. 

      Any thoughts about where I can find this information?  It appears my uncle's service records may have been destroyed in the 1973 National Personnel Records Center Fire.

        • Re: Seeking information about the 207th Coastal Artillery unit during  WWII
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Borland,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 207th Coast Artillery Regiment during WWII. We also located the series Central Decimal Correspondence Files, 1940-1945 in Record Group 407 that contains records related to the 207th Coast Artillery Regiment. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center has an insignia page for the 207th Coastal Artillery Regiment on their website. You may wish to contact them directly for further assistance.


          Finally, the US Army Center of Military History provides an online Order of Battle of the United States Army - WWII that might be useful in identifying where the 207th Coast Artillery Regiment was stationed during the war. We suggest that you contact them or the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center for more information.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          2 people found this helpful