2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2021 10:17 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military record of James Earl Wright

    Michelle Harper Newbie

      Where can I locate any military records associated with my great Uncle, 1st Lieutenant James Earl Wright?  He was killed in action during the attempted bridgehead at Moselle, France, on September 10, 1944.  His body was found February 27, 1945, but was not able to be identified.  He was buried in France as an unknown, X-46.  This year, in July, his remains were identified as my great Uncle, James Earl Wright and brought back to his hometown of Lumberbridge, North Carolina.  My grandmother is his only surviving sibling.  She turned 100 years old earlier this year and was able to live to see her brother returned home.  He was buried in the family cemetery on the property where he was born and raised.  I work extensively on our family genealogy, and would love to find any other military records associated with him.

        • Re: Seeking military record of James Earl Wright
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below.  I would also suggest obtaining his IDPFs Individual Deceased Personnel File you can obtain through the following.



          For the IDPFs of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.



          In order to request those records please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          Secondly, Contact the following as well


          Contact Us



          Past Conflict Repatriations Branch
          Contact via Email army.hrc.pastconflicts@mail.mil


          Phone Number:

          DSN Phone Number:

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military record of James Earl Wright
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Harper,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We suggest that you search the US Army Center of Military History for any additional information and/or resources about the 11th Infantry Regiment/5th Infantry Division.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research.