1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2021 2:07 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking military records of 1st Class Petty Officer Harold Northup

    Lola Northup Wilcox Newbie

      My father, 1st Class Petty Officer Harold Courtney Northup (no second "r") was joined by my mother and me (6 mos) around August 1944. I would like to know where he was stationed, and if my mother and I lived with him there. I would like to know if he was transferred from there somewhere else (stateside) and if she/I went with him there if so. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military records of 1st Class Petty Officer Harold Northup
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Wilcox,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) also stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records created at Naval medical treatment facilities. Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer the Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity. If you and your mother received medical care from a Naval facility where your father was stationed, there may be some record of it that could help you identify where you might have been living during the 1940s.


          If possible, contact the last medical treatment facility to determine if records have been retired to the NPRC before sending a request. If they did, then send your request for your DMF to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!