2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2021 1:33 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking US Army records of Edward Breland

    Diane Burns Newbie

      Seeking US Army record of service for my uncle, Edward Breland who died in France in 1946.  Just any information would be helpful.

        • Re: Seeking US Army records of Edward Breland
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information. Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/28401288/edward-washington-breland




          Name:Edward Breland Jr
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1923
          Nativity State or Country:Mississippi
          Residence:Lamar, Mississippi
          Education:2 years of high school
          Civil Occupation:Attendants, filling stations and parking lots
          Enlistment Date:13 Nov 1942
          Enlistment Place:Camp Shelby, Mississippi
          Service Number:14151570
          Component:Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of
          Source:Civil Life






          Name:Edward Breland
          Race:White (includes Mexican) (White)
          Rank:Enlisted Man (includes Aviation Cadet or Student)
          Admission Age:21
          Birth Date:abt 1924
          Admission Date:Jan 1945
          Discharge Date:Jan 1945
          Discharge Place:Not in Medical Installation Prior to Death
          Military Branch:Infantry, General or Unspecified
          Military Unit:2
          Diagnosis:Diagnosis: Wound(s), character not stated (includes Wound(s), multiple, Not Elsewhere Classified; Wound(s) unqualified) with no nerve or artery involvement; Location: Eye, Not Elsewhere Classified; CausativeAgent: Bullet, Missile Not Stated
          Type of Injury:InjuryType: Battle casualty; InjuryType2: All battle casualties, and all battle injuries not intentionally inflicted by self or another person
          Service Number:14151570
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking US Army records of Edward Breland
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Ms. Burns,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes 1 file for Breland, Edward Jr.. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his/her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            In addition, we suggest that you request a copy of his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!