2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2021 2:01 PM by Connie Carter

    Seeking my uncle's Navy/Air Force service records

    Connie Carter Wayfarer

      Where can I find Navy/Air Force service records online for genealogy research? My Uncle was in both the Navy and the Air Force. I'm not sure what year he went into the Air Force but he was in the Navy in the 1940's during WWII. I know post-war, he was stationed in Germany and I am trying to retrieve at least his WWII and post-war Germany records. Is there a way to access these records online?

        • Re: Seeking my uncle's Navy/Air Force service records
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Carter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Please note that these records have not been digitized and are not available online.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!