6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2021 5:10 PM by Darrin Mason

    Seeking WW2 service records of Jack James

    Jeffrey Green Wayfarer

      Hi, I’m new to this forum and genealogy in general. My mom recently found my Great-Grandpa's Purple Heart with papers, I never knew much about him the only information on the award papers is his name Jack D. James, service number 39924834, Private in the parachute infantry (doesn’t list division regiment or battalion), wounded in the European theater of operations, and the hospital he was in whilst recovering the 61st General Hospital. What’s the best source for looking up service history and records. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking WW2 service records of Jack James
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Green,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Jack D. Clark with that Army Serial Number. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his/her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may include general orders of the 61st General Hospital during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking WW2 service records of Jack James
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information for you below. He was with the  82nd ABN, 504th PIR Parachute Infantry Regiment.



            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking WW2 service records of Jack James
              Darrin Mason Newbie

              He served in Company G 502nd PIR 101st Airborne Division. I will share what i have with you. I have some of the Morning Reports and some newspaper articles aboit him.

              I have researched Company G for a number of years. I cant wait to swap info with you.

              Darrin Mason

              • Re: Seeking WW2 service records of Jack James
                Darrin Mason Newbie

                I know Jack D James born in 1917 in Utah was drafted 1/3/44 at Fort Douglas and lived Salt Lake City. ASN# 39984834. He was assigned to Company G 502nd PIR on Aug 11 1944 as a Private and was a Rifleman in 3rd Platoon. He jumped in Holland on Sept 17, 1944 and was Wounded in Action Sept 19 at the bloody battle of Best. He returned to duty on Feb 5 1945. Listed as a Pvt on May 8 1945 roster.

                Per Salt Lake City newspapers he was son of Elizabeth and had attended Bryant Lower Division High School and worked for Tate Construction Company before the war.

                "As the company approached into the dense woods near Zon (Best) he was shot in the right arm by a bullet but he continued firing with his left hand until he killed the sniper who shot him. Minutes latee medics attended to his arm and took him to a field hoapital in Zon. He was later flown to a hospital in England for further treatment

                He was discharged in January 1946 and was probaly a member of the 504th at the time.

                Per G502 men your grandpa was a mean character. Take that for whats its worth.

                I will try to figure out how to post photos and i will post the Morning Reports i have and the newspaper articles.

                Any info you can add pre war and wartime and postwar would be awesome as i have researched G502 for a long time and i dont have any postwar info on him.