3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2021 10:37 AM by Jeff Garringer

Seeking military records of James A "Red" Ducey

Jeff Garringer Newbie

I am seeking information on retired USMC veteran James A. "Red" Ducey.  He served in WW1 and WW2. Passed in January of 1952.  I am a member of the Fayette County (Ohio) Historical Society and I am trying to verify awards/ribbons/ badges he received during his time in the Marine Corps.  There is no next of kin for this gentleman that we may resource.  He was the most decorated military person in our county.  I am aware of at least 2 Silver Star citations in WW1.  I am looking for service records that would tell me what awards he received.  All I have in my files are several enlistment and discharge papers.  I also have some of his medals and ribbons, but want to make sure he is credited with all he earned in his 30 years in the service.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James A. Ducey

• Re: Seeking military records of James A "Red" Ducey
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Garringer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, we searched online and located information concerning him in the following Marine Corps spreadsheet. While it does not address your question about awards, it does provide a separation date and his service number that may be of use when ordering his OMPF.

James Aloysius Ducey in the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Listing during the Korean War period, 1951-1955:

Name:

James Aloysius Ducey

Casualty Date:

13 Jan 1952

Casualty Type:

DIS

Unit:

RETIRED - 1-OCT-48

Service Number:

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Jeff,

I would also seek out and contact the  Fayette County (Ohio) Veterans Service Office. The state of Ohio has copies that you might be able to obtain. I know this because I got several for my grandparents who live in Ohio. https://www.fayette-co-oh.com/government/boards_and_commissions/veterans_service_commission.php

Fayette County Veterans Service Center

133 South Main St.

Suite 404

Washington Court House, Ohio 43160

Phone: 740.335.1610

Fax: 740.333.3587

Email: vetsservices@fayette-co-oh.com

Director/ Service Officer: William Rheinscheld; William.rheinscheld@fayette-co-oh.com
            C
            ell Phone: 740-505-0195

Also follow the State of Ohio Veterans website and use the link and follow the and download paperwork need to submit your request. https://dvs.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/dvs/resources-for-veterans/more-resources/military-records-and-honors

https://dvs.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/71ad7968-bc39-4b89-9d2c-e7c33691882a/records-request-form.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=…

WW1: Was awarded Two Silver Stars

Silver Star Citation

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
            DURING World War I
            Service: Marine Corps
            Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces
            GENERAL ORDERS:

Citation Orders, 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

CITATION:

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D. 1918), Sergeant James A. Ducey (MCSN: 82327), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Sergeant Ducey distinguished himself while serving with the 18th Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Chateau-Thierry, France, 6 June to 10 July 1918.

Silver Star Citation

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
            DURING World War I
            Service: Marine Corps
            Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces
            GENERAL ORDERS:

Citation Orders, 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

CITATION:

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D. 1918), Sergeant James A. Ducey (MCSN: 82327), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Sergeant Ducey distinguished himself while serving with the 18th Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Soissons, France, 18 to 22 July 1918.

WW2:

Silver Star

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
            DURING World War II
            Service: Army
            Division: 1st Infantry Division
            GENERAL ORDERS:

Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division, General Orders No. 24 (1943)

CITATION:

(Citation Needed) - SYNOPSIS: Staff Sergeant James P. Ducey, United States Army, was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action in connection with combat operations against the enemy while serving with Company D, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations during World War II.

1 person found this helpful
                Jeff Garringer Newbie

Thank you for responding to my request.  I have been working with my local, County Veterans Services since I began this quest.  Please note that the WW2 Silver Star you referred to is not the gentleman I am researching.  It is for a James P. Ducey/Army.  My guy is James A. Ducey/Marine.  I have gone to the Ancestry site as well as the newspaper archival sites and viewed what was available.  I have submitted apps. to National group and all I can do is wait. Thanks, again.

Jeff