2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2021 11:41 AM by Zachary Dabbs

    Looking for Veteran Information for a resident in Senior Living Community

    Johnathan Payne Newbie

      I am an employee from Storypoint, an Assisted Living and Senior Care Community and I would like to know more information about Larry Linden, who is one of our residents that we would like to honor on our veteran wall. He is unable to speak for himself and his family has little information on his vet history. I am wondering what his title was, how long and where he served, when he started and ended his service, what his duties were during his service, and if he received any medals or honors. From the information that I currently have, he was discharged in may of 1968 from his service in the Army by L G McCarthy with the information Larry C Linden ER 16 703 074  PFC USAR and serviced in Fort Knox, Kentucky, Thanks!

        • Re: Looking for Veteran Information for a resident in Senior Living Community
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Maybe you can reach out to your admissions person at your facility. They maybe able to give you information on his family and whom to contact to tell them that you are wanting to honor a veteran at your facility. Records pertaining to service members are only available to next of kin such as mother, father, brother, and sister. Maybe the family would have information they would like to share with you regarding Mr. Lindens service during Vietnam.

          • Re: Looking for Veteran Information for a resident in Senior Living Community
            Zachary Dabbs Scout

            Dear Mr. Payne,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful.