1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2021 2:19 PM by Jason Atkinson

    How can I find Navy records of Jasper Elwood Long?

    Susan Carter Newbie

      I'm looking for my father's military records.  He was in the Navy and I have limited information. He would have enlisted in NC not sure where.  He passed away in 1988 after divorcing from my mother in 1960.  There was limited contact and I'm trying to find out as much as possible due to early deaths of father and his siblings.


      Name:  Jasper Elwood Long

      Enlistment date:  11/03/1948

      Discharge date:  10/11/1949

      DOB:  04/28/1931

      DOD:  03/22/1988

        • Re: How can I find Navy records of Jasper Elwood Long?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Carter,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates, but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!