1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2021 9:22 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking my records from Chelsea Naval Hospital

david brown Newbie

Hi, I was born in Chelsea Navel Hospital on November 29,1953 and it was my main place for hospital care. I would like to obtain any medical records that are available. I still have my patient recording card if needed to obtain any information. I'm just trying to obtain any medical records pertaining to any procedures I may have had at Chelsea Navel Hospital that was located in Chelsea, MA before it closed in 1974. Actually, my dad was a patient there for 6 months and was transferred to New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, MA. because of its closing. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this and helping me get this information if it is still available.

• Re: Seeking my records from Chelsea Naval Hospital
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records created at Naval medical treatment facilities. Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer the Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity.

If possible, contact the last medical treatment facility to determine if records have been retired to the NPRC before sending a request. If they did, then send your request to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!