4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2021 11:06 AM by Meaghan Eicher

Maine's 'Civil War Veterans Home' Death Certificate Search

Meaghan Eicher Wayfarer

Hello! I am searching for a death certificate for a Christian Eiche, born 1835 in Germany, immigrated to New York, volunteered in the Civil War, and died in 1886 at the Togus National Cemetery in Maine. He was in the NY 7th Infantry Co. B during the Civil War.

I am searching for a copy of his death certificate, however the Maine State Archives told me that since Togus National Cemetery is a federal facility, they don't have this record on file and told me to reach out to the National Archives. However, when I reached out to the National Archives, they told me they wouldn't have this record and to email the Maine State Archives.

I was able to find a copy of his Civil War pension online, but not his death certificate. Any idea where I might be able to search to locate this record?

Thank you so much in advance!

• Re: Maine's 'Civil War Veterans Home' Death Certificate Search
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ms. Eicher,

Here is some information below. i would also encourage you to reach out to the following. Please use the following form NATF86 to complete your request and make sure you request the full file.

Older military personnel records (generally prior to 1917) are on file at:

Textual Archives Services Division
          Washington, DC 20408

https://www.archives.gov/files/forms/pdf/natf-86.pdf

US National Home for Disabled Veterans:

1 person found this helpful
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Eicher,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records of Interments at National Cemeteries, ca. 1862 - ca. 1984 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that may include a copy of the internment records for him. We also located Name Indexes to Registers of Members, 1866 - 1934 and Registers of Members, 1866 - 1934 in Record Group 15 which includes records related to the home at Togus and which may include records relating to him. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Next, we located Sample Case Files of Members, 1866 - 1932 in Record Group 15 which may include records relating to him. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) at boston.archives@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RE-BO. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In regard to death certificates, please note that death certificates are a relatively recent concept in many jurisdictions.  The federal government does not issue death certificates, therefore the National Archives typically does not maintain copies of death certificates. Prior to 1892, the State of Maine did not issue death certificates.  According to the Maine State Archives:

Before 1892, with a few exceptions, vital records registration occurred and remained on the town level, and the information on the records was generally sparser.  Marriages and death records, for example, rarely listed parent's names or the party's place of birth. Some towns kept good records, some kept no records, and some kept adequate records only to have them lost to fire, flood, or storage in private homes.

In the 1920's, the State requested copies of pre-1892 vital records from the towns, to which only about 20 percent responded.  Those for which the Archives has these Towns are on the Delayed Vital Records Microfilm.

Togus is located in Chelsea, Maine, which is not listed in the Delayed Vital Records Microfilm page.  Therefore, if the town created any death certificates prior to 1892, they never came into the custody of the Maryland State Archives. If they do exist, they may be in the custody of the Town of Chelsea Town Clerk who may be contacted via email at chelseaclerk@chelseamaine.org. Additionally, the Togus National Cemetery may have relevant records in their custody.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

Meaghan Eicher Wayfarer

Dear Jason,

I am so thankful to you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry! This is very helpful information, and places that I have not yet looked or considered. I am an amateur researcher, so this information is very helpful for me. Thank you for taking the time to track this information down, I am very thankful to you! Should I find any information out, I will circle back and let you know if I had any luck.

Take care, and I wish you a wonderful day!

Warm Regards,

Meaghan