3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2021 6:24 PM by Anthony Henderson

    Where do I apply for the new DD-214?

    Anthony Henderson Newbie

      I applied for a discharge upgrade and the BCNR partially awarded a general discharge (under honorable conditions) and was to be put in my record as of 7/15/2021, where do I apply for the new DD-214?

        • Re: Where do I apply for the new DD-214?
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Depending on when you got out of military service and what branch would help all of us know where you would need to look. I'm assuming that when you stated that you applied for an upgrade to the BCNR that you were in the Navy.


          The NDRB, or Naval Discharge Review Board (NDRB), is the designated authority to review and determine whether a service member's discharge was granted in a proper manner and was fair and equitable considering the regulations in effect at the time of the discharge.


          Pursuant to statutory limitations, the NDRB can only consider discharges issued within 15 years from the date of application. Discharges older than 15 years must apply to the Board for Correction of Naval records (BCNR).


          Rule of thumb,


          If less than 15 years goes to NDRB: DD293

          If more than 15 years goes to BCNR: DD149



          FYI+++++++++ I contacted the BCNR and you can email them at the following below to ensure that they received youe application and should provide you with that status. But they also re-iterated that it will take 14-18 months to process and go to board with your application. Its a waiting game currently.


          Application Status Inquiries

          Due to the high number of Petitions processed by the Board, it is impossible to respond to every status inquiry.  Please note, current completion time ranges from 14 to 18 months, therefore the Board does not give the status of a Petition less than 18 months at the Board.


          If you are calling to find out if the Board received your application because you have not received your case number, please contact the Board by e-mail at BCNR_Correspondence.fct@navy.mil.


          Please note that you will only receive a response if you are requesting your case number or if your case has been at the Board for more than 18 months.  Please indicate in your email your name and the month and year your application was submitted. 


          If you are adding information to your current Petition, please submit a new DD Form 149 with the information.


          If you have an emergency issue, please indicate the word emergency in the title of your email.  Should your request fall into this category, a member of the staff will make every effort to contact you within 72 hours.
          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Where do I apply for the new DD-214?
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Henderson,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated after September 30, 2002 (Army); after September 30, 2004 (Air Force); after 1994 (Navy); and after 1998 (Marine Corps) are available in electronic format via https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/.


            We hope this is helpful.