7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2021 4:31 PM by Henry Rosenberg

Brackets

Henry Rosenberg Navigator

For the Moderators- I know this has been discussed but I would appreciate clarification on what to do when an item appears in brackets such as [For 1 enc see 2-5-1902]. If I come across something like that should I accept it or should I revise is to [*[For 1 enc see 2-5-1902]*]? I ask because we were told that brackets indicate deletion.

Thanks,

Henry

• Re: Brackets
          Abigail Shelton Adventurer

Hi Henry,

This is a great question! It might be helpful if you link to an example of what you're referring to but I'll try to clarify best I can based on what I think you're asking.

If the author of a document has written or typed something in brackets, you should transcribe the brackets as is to preserve the original text, no need to add extra brackets or asterisks. I think this is what you're asking about, the situation being that an original author has included brackets in the text? But if not, I've outlined the other uses of brackets below:

You should add brackets to the transcription in the following circumstances:

1. There is an illegible word or letter of a word. For example, "Dear Teddy [?]," or "Dear [Te???] Roosevelt," would be appropriate bracket usage.

2. If the author of a document has crossed out or otherwise deleted a word, you should enclose the deleted word in brackets. For example, "[Dear] My dear Teddy Roosevelt,"

3. If a document author has added a marginal note, you would enclose in brackets and asterisks. This would be a note that appears outside of the main body of the text but cannot be directly inserted into the text, like a handwritten date on the side or top of a letter. For example, [*Rec'd by Mr. Smith on March 23, 1911*] My dear Teddy Roosevelt..."

Let me know if that helps clarify or if I can answer additional question!

Abby

1 person found this helpful