1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2021 1:16 PM by Jason Atkinson

    My father's military record/pictures

    Johna Porter Newbie

      Hello all!  I am trying to find any pictures of my father when he was in the service (Marines) during the Korean War.  I am not sure where to start - any help would be appreciated!  He turns 90 in December and we want to do something special for him.  TIA

        • Re: My father's military record/pictures
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Porter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. Furthermore, we can not at this time provide an estimate for when public health conditions will permit NPRC to resume fulfilling emergency requests or how long it will take to work through the substantial backlog.  Therefore, we can not guarantee that NPRC will be able to provide a copy of his records by December, 2021. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful.