2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2021 12:39 PM by Kevin Mason

    Seeking annual history reports of Army  battalions, brigades, and divisions in Korea 1954-1991

    Kevin Mason Newbie

      I am researching Korean DMZ incidents after the Armistice was signed; generally and specifically an incident that occurred on 7 DEC 1979 - would like to find the Army Regulation 15-6 investigation on the death of SFC Thomas Lee Anderson conducted most likely by 1st Bn, 9th Infantry; or 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.  What record sets would that be in?

        • Re: Seeking annual history reports of Army  battalions, brigades, and divisions in Korea 1954-1991
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Mason,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Army Regulation No. 15-6 Background Files, 1976 - 1980 in the Records of the Judge Advocate General (Army) (Record Group 153) and Investigative Files, 1961 - 1985 in the Records of the Office of the Inspector General (Army) (Record Group 159) that includes information about Army Regulation 15-6, and may include information the investigation of the death of Thomas Lee Anderson in Korea on December 7, 1979. For more information about the records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov and include the information cited in your request.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF).  IDPFs dated after 1976 are in the legal custody of the Army. For the exact location of these files, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          The Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner issues death certificates for overseas casualties.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!