2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2021 11:52 AM by Jiya Pandya

Department of State or NGO records on Disability or Caste in India

Jiya Pandya Newbie

Hi all,

I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask this question, but I am beginning research on social work, disability, and caste in postcolonial India, and a part of my project involves tracing connections between Indian and US welfare programs between 1947-1995, links between the ADA in the US and the PWD Act in India (which were passed in 1990 and 1995 respectively), and links between Black activists and Dalit activists at the same time. I thought the Department of State Records or Foreign Affairs records at NARA would be a good place to start, but the terms "disability," "handicap," "India," and "caste" yield a lot of results. If anyone could guide me on where to start looking, that would be really helpful.

Also, I know that most research rooms are closed now due to COVID-19 - does anybody have a sense on when they will open?

Thanks,

Jiya

• Re: Department of State or NGO records on Disability or Caste in India
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Pandya,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For broad research questions such as this, we recommend that researchers start by reviewing the Department of State Central Files in Record Group 59. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Decisions regarding the opening and reopening of individual NARA facilities and the resumption of specific services are being made on a case by case basis according to constantly changing local health conditions; the risk assessments and risk mitigation plans associated with specific agency functions; and guidance from OMB, OPM, and federal, state and local health authorities.  Therefore we can not at this time provide you with any estimate as to when in-person research will again be available either generally or for specific units. We also can not provide any estimates of how long it will take to work through the backlog when reproduction services resume. Please monitor the web pages The National Archives at College Park, Maryland and COVID-19 Updates for information about operations at our College Park facility.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful