4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2021 11:36 AM by Tom Boyer

Seeking records of Task Force 70.9

Tom Boyer Adventurer

My question is about Vietnam and Seventh Fleet organization. Commander 7th Fleet was sub-organized into Task Forces. The most noted was TF 77 for the carrier attack force. The Task Forces were further broken down into Task Groups for ASW, mine warfare and my interest group, TG 70.9 for submarine warfare. Who has information (on-line since NARA is still in covid closure) about Task Force 70.9?

• Re: Seeking records of Task Force 70.9
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Boyer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records Regarding Pacific Area Naval and Fleet Operations, 1/1966 - 2/19/1970 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) which includes some general descriptions of submarine operations. These operations were primarily surveillance and observation of foriegn shipping into North Vietnam. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For access to most post-WWII U.S. Navy operational records, please contact the Operational Archives Branch, via email at archives@navy.mil or call (202) 433-3224. Before contacting them, we suggest reading through the Reference FAQs.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[information provided by Nate Patch, subject matter expert]

Tom Boyer Adventurer

Nate or Jason,

Is there nothing on-line? I'm located across the country and cannot just drop into the archives even when they are open. I have been trying to get information about TG70.9 and other information through history hub and all I get in response is covid closure information. Your replies would be more helpful if you left out the covid stuff and just told me what was available on-line and if not on-line, what I need to do to get in person help.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Tom,

There is not really anything to much in the way online. I would take Nate and Jason suggestions of going to the following site that they mentioned earlier for help in your research. If you contact them and call and they have what you need most times they have staff that can either mail it to you or send it to you in an email.

For access to most post-WWII U.S. Navy operational records, please contact the Operational Archives Branch, via email at archives@navy.mil or call (202) 433-3224. Before contacting them, we suggest reading through the Reference FAQs.

Here is some information for you. Please follow the links below.

https://vva.vietnam.ttu.edu/images.php?img=/images/2499/24991112003.pdf

https://vva.vietnam.ttu.edu/images.php?img=/images/2499/24991112004.pdf

2 people found this helpful
                      Tom Boyer Adventurer

Thank you, Elliot, for the response and the added links to the USS Tunny. My concern about the responses from NARA staff are twofold. First, I don't understand what they are conveying in their response. My time within federal and state government required plain language responses. Plus they are telling me to go from one archive desk to another archive desk which results in another non-understandable response. Second, the links to the NARA websites are not useful to laypeople. You have to be a NARA archivist to understand the system enough to find something of value. I'll admit I have not called any archivist but I suspect I will get a phone tree of options all ending with yet another statement about covid closure. I know the NARA website to be difficult research resource. A well known genealogist podcaster spent an hour discussing how to maneuver through the various pages and links, etc.

Here's what would help me as a non-archive educated researcher:

1. Tell me up front in simple language, yes we have information but it's not on-line. Contact _____ to request additional research help. (Fee required, etc).

2. Responders such as yourself and Jason and Nate should identify yourselves if associated with NARA or with some other related government archive. Your links for example, go to Texas Tech University. Are you a researcher or archivist with TTU? (BTW, your link to Operational Archives Branch doesn't work.)

I appreciate everyone's help in my research efforts. I'm offering these comments only as thoughts from the user end of answers. Please consider these constructive criticism. If I don't understand what you're telling me, you haven't told me anything useful.