1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 22, 2021 2:27 PM by Charlie Busch

    Seeking my father’s personal and unit records

    Diane R. Kessinger Newbie

      How do I find my Father’s personal and unit records for his service in the Korean War, 3rd Signal Corps, attached to the 3rd Infantry Regiment from 11/15/1950 until 3/1/1952?

        • Re: Seeking my father’s personal and unit records
          Charlie Busch Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Kessinger,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes the files INRG-3 - 3rd Infantry Regiment: Historical and Command Reports (2 folders), 1949-1950 and INRG-3 - 3rd Infantry Regiment: Command Report, 07/1951 - 09/1951 during the Korean War. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We located a file for the 3rd Signal Company that was attached to the 3rd Infantry Division but only for 1953.


          We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes the file units titled 3rd Infantry Regiment: Historical Reports, 3rd Infantry Regiment: History Files, and Headquarters, 3rd Infantry Regiment: General Orders during the Korean War. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact RDT2. We were unable to locate records of the 3rd Signal during the Korean War.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!