3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2021 11:59 AM by Kathleen Hubbard

    Any Other Avenues for obtaining Military Records?

    Kathleen Hubbard Newbie

      I submitted a eVetRecs request for my fathers full military record well over a year ago, and to date the request has not moved past the "received" status.  Given the staffing shortage due to COVID I know it's likely it could be years before it does.  Is there any other reputable option to obtain his full military file?

        • Re: Any Other Avenues for obtaining Military Records?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Hubbard,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Since you have allowed sufficient time for the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) to receive and process your request (more than 10 days) and if you have not already done so, please review Check the Status of a Request for Military Service Records to see the options for checking the status of your request. You also may telephone the NPRC Customer Service Line (this is a long-distance call for most customers) at 314-801-0800.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Please see the National Archives web page Other Methods to Obtain Military Service Records for suggestions.  Please note that not all Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) are available from the listed alternate sources. Please be aware that while there are various companies that offer to charge money to obtain OMPFs, these companies get the OMPFs from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) and they do not have any special access to any records beyond the same methods already available to you when ordering OMPFs directly from NPRC. Therefore, going to a third party vendor to try to order copies of the OMPFs will not expedite the process.


          We hope this is helpful.

          • Re: Any Other Avenues for obtaining Military Records?
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Have you tried contacting the State Veterans Service Office they may have a copy of at least his discharge papers if he ever applied for state benefits. You can also try contacting the County Veterans Service Office of the county that your father resides in the may have also recorded his discharge papers at the county recorders office. Lastly, you may want to try contacting the VA in the state that he lived or area he may have applied for healthcare. and or VA benefits.