8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2021 10:26 AM by Alice Lane

Trying to find information on my grandmother

Michael Durham Wayfarer

Good afternoon, I'm trying to find information on my grandmother who was born on a Native American Reservation in 1895. Her parents were Matilda You who married John Reid. That is the only information that my mother provided to me. Thank you.

• Re: Trying to find information on my grandmother
          Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi Michael,

Welcome to History Hub

Could you provide your mother's name and date of birth, and any other family member, such as your mother's brothers or sisters and your fathers first name and any dates that you may have and residences of the family

Thank you

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Durham,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Applications for Enrollment in the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898 - 1914 (also known as the Dawes Rolls) in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that may include your grandmother and/or her parents. Most of these records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) at ftworth.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-FW. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We suggest that you review the NARA web page for Dawes Rolls as an overview of how to research that resource. In addition, the NARA Native American Heritage webpage, NARA Resources for Genealogists webpage, and the FamilySearch Research wiki for Indigenous Peoples of the United States Genealogy may be useful.

When embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. If an ancestor was Native American and left the reservation or did not have interaction with the United States Government as such, they will not be recorded in NARA’s records and tracing their genealogy may be difficult.

We also suggest that you contact the State Archives or Health Department of State to request a search for the birth, marriage or death certificates that may document your mother’s and grandmother’s Native American ancestry. You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years. In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for How to Find United States Vital Records may be helpful. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Michael Durham Wayfarer

Good afternoon Alice,

Below is all the information that I know about my family

Great Great Grandmother Nora Mann  DOB unknown

Great Grandmother Matilda Young Born 1864      Great Grandfather John H. Reid DOB unknown

Grand Mother  Emma Jane Reid     Aug 2, 1895    Grand Father Arthur Milner October 27, 1897

Mother                                                                 Father

Odessa L  Milner ( Durham) Jan 14, 1928   Rome, GA     Robert Durham  May 26, 1926 Gadsden, Ala

Mother's Siblings

Howard Milner       March 21, 1915               Rome, GA ,  Died in  Atlanta

Ralph Milner          August 24, 1917              Rome, GA ,   Died in Hampstead, NY

Dorothy Milner      September 28, 1922        Rome, GA ,  Died in  Philadelphi

Doris Milner          November 10, 1932         Rome, GA ,  Died in  Boston, MA

Beatrice Milner     January 13, 1931             Rome, GA ,  Died in  Boston, MA

Eva Milner            August 25, 1926               Rome, GA ,  Died in  Rome, GA

Marion Milner       August 24                         Rome, GA ,  Died in  Rome, GA

Arthur Milner Jr    September , 1936            Rome, GA     Unknown

Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi again Michael

The tree Wives of John Henry Reed information is from a family tree on familysearch.org. family search is free, you just need to register to use.

Genealogies Details — FamilySearch.org

Marriage

1 Nov 1877

Sandusky County, Ohio, USA

Sources

Marriage

Abt. 1907

Wife

Emma Jane Van Ness Reed

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Search Results - henry reed • FamilySearch-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedigree Resource File

Birth30 November 1857
                Ottawa County, Ohio, USA

Marriageabout 1907

Marriage1 November 1877

Death28 July 1929
                Washington, District of Columbia

BurialFremont, Sandusky County, Ohio, USA

Father:Simon Peter Reed

Mother:Caroline Bowersox Reed

Spouse:Martha M. Young Reed, Emma Alcena Kuns Reed, Emma Jane Van Ness Reed

Children:Viola E Reed Wood, Emma Alcena Reed Zink, Nettie Caroline Reed, Harry Clayton Reed, Harold Orville Reed, John Warren Reed, Jennie Artella Reed Miarer, Nora Reed, Nellie C Reed, Harold O Reed, Samuel Jacob Reed, Goldie Rebecca Reed Whitcomb, Mervin R Reed, James Monroe Reed

Pedigree Resource File
                Ira Bowersox Paulus Tree Bauersachs Bowersox Bowersock

Birth30 November 1857
                Ottawa County, Ohio, USA

Marriageabout 1907

Marriage1 November 1877

Death28 July 1929
                Washington, District of Columbia

BurialFremont, Sandusky County, Ohio, USA

Father:Simon Peter Reed

Mother:Caroline Bowersox Reed

Spouse:Martha M. Young Reed, Emma Alcena Kuns Reed, Emma Jane Van Ness Reed

Children:Harold O Reed, Nellie C Reed, Nora Reed, Jennie Artella Reed Miarer, Harry Clayton Reed, Nettie Caroline Reed, Emma Alcena Reed Zink, Viola E Reed Wood, James Monroe Reed, Mervin R Reed, Goldie Rebecca Reed Whitcomb,

There is a Milner family tree on Ancestry.com but I don't have a subscription at this time. You can get a one time free trial if you have not had one before

That's all I found so far.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi Michael,

On which side of the family does Nora Mann belong? Thanks

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer