1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2021 1:01 PM by Rachael Salyer

WWII Military Service Record for Carlton H. Case

kylie connell Newbie

Is there a way to put in a service number and see where this person was a stationed?

Im trying to solve a 70 year old mystery.  Seems my Nana had a dalliance with a American during WW2, we have never known a thing about him, However thanks to the wonderful world of DNA I have been able to connect with a cousin on Ancestry.com and i am slowly working backwards.

I am looking for a gentleman called  

Carlton H Case, Born 1925 January 25th,  I can see from files his service number was 224 91 96 and he was at some point on the USS Coral Sea Dec 1943.    Bombing squadron 146.

What I am trying to ascertain is whether Carlton at some point visited New Zealand. I'm presuming he did but need to see this in writing for my own piece of mind .  Did the boat change name at any point?  I believe there was a quite a battle, perhaps  he transferred to another boat and location?

where do i find this information?

Also What does the codes ARM3c mean?

I would dearly love to order his military records which would probably clear everything up, however as I don't have his name on my dads birth certificate I am  unsure that would be possible.

Thanks for your time - Kylie Connell

• Re: WWII Military Service Record for Carlton H. Case
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Ms. Connell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Questions concerning a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who may be the father of a child born during or around the time of World War II should be sent to the NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please mark the envelope and the letter "War Baby."

If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of Carlton H. Case’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located World War II War Diaries, Other Operational Records and Histories, ca. 1/1/1942 - ca. 6/1/1946 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) that contains war diaries and reports concerning the activities of the USS Coral Sea during World War II. These records have been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog.  Please keep in mind that the Catalog does not always list files in chronological order.

Next, we located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941-1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS Coral Sea (CVB-43/CVA-43/CVE-57) for June 1943 - December 1950. Although these deck logs typically do not include information about individuals, they may provide some useful information about the ship’s location, engagements, and other activities. We also located the series Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in Record Group 24 that includes the muster rolls of the USS Coral Sea.  Some of these records have been digitized and can be viewed online using the Catalog, but most of the records for the time period you are interested in have not been digitized. For more information about the non-digitized deck logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The acronym ARM3c stands for the rank of Aviation Radioman 3rd Class.

Finally, we suggest that you contact the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) for further assistance.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!