1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2021 1:27 PM by Josette Schluter

Seeking parents of Parthenia Brown

Sarah H Newbie

Looking for information of the parents of a Virginian woman born in 1807. I found census records of her with different variations of name Parthenia Seymour Ripley Ragland Brown. I tried searching with different spellings such as Parthena and Raglin which need not help much. She was married to a Mr. Clifton Ripley Brown and she lived with her daughter, Pocahantas Herndon, when she passed.

I do have the names of possible parents, but I just want to know for sure if I’m correct. I feel like I made a mistake as I’m having difficulty locating any records that prove a connection. The names I have are Jacob Ragland & Elizabeth Patteson. If I do have the correct names, I like more information on them so I can hopefully find their parents as well.

thank you for any help.

• Re: Seeking parents of Parthenia Brown
          Josette Schluter Scout

Dear Sarah H,,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers. Also, the FamilySearch Research wiki for Virginia may be useful.

Establishing parental connection would most likely be found in documents such as birth, marriage and death records. These are records that are typically known as Vital Records and are generally maintained by local authorities. The Commonwealth of Virginia did not begin statewide registration of births until 1912, marriages until 1853, and deaths until 1912. However there are some instances that these records exist for earlier time periods and you may wish to  consult the Research wiki for Virginia Vital Records for help. You may also wish to contact the Library of Virginia for additional resources.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!