2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2021 10:29 AM by Rachael Salyer

How many enlisted female Army Divers have there been?

Nahshon Eppley Newbie

How many enlisted female Army Divers have there been? My wife just recently graduated from US Army Diver AIT 12D as an enlisted soldier. I understand this is one of the hardest jobs to get in the army with its grueling training and high fail rate. I have been trying to figure out how many other enlisted female have passed the training. from what I can gather she is the 3rd enlisted female but I cannot figure out if the 2nd or 3rd females to pass the course where enlisted or officers. I have been asking around everywhere trying to figure this out. does anyone know this information or know where I can find it? thank you!

• Re: How many enlisted female Army Divers have there been?
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Nahshon,

I would speak directly to the Army School that gave your wife instruction. Maybe there is a Commandant or OIC "Officer In Charge" of the school that has the answer to your question. I'm old school but my guess is that she was at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. This is were may individuals with MOS in Engineering go because that were the training has been conducted for years. I had 62J training there prior to 9/11. So here is a link I suggest reading. https://www.army.mil/article/86215/army_divers_begin_careers_at_fort_leonard_wood

Qualifications

The Army does not post a ton of information about Army Diver (MOS 12D) because it is not considered a primary MOS or very well known.

Surprising, there aren’t many qualifications compared to other Army jobs yet since the opportunities to join MOS 12D are limited, competition is stiff.

Prospective Army MOS 12D needs to meet basic requirements like being a citizen of the United States and a clean criminal history.

There are also expectations to meet Army physical fitness standards since the military specialty requires a great deal of physical exertion.

The Army recommends that aspiring MOS 12D have an interest in mechanics and building things.

An interest in underwater diving, the ability to stay calm under stress, and demonstrating a high degree of self-reliance are also valued for MOS 12D.

Training

Army recruits begin training at Basic Combat Training, or boot camp, for 10 weeks regardless of intended MOS.

Basic Combat Training introduces you to the military lifestyle and determines if you have what it takes to make it in the Army.

Following Basic Combat Training, you progress to advanced training related to your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).

Army Divers (MOS 12D) have extensive advanced training which takes 29 weeks to complete.

Advanced Individual Training for MOS 12D is a combination of classroom studies and underwater exercises.

You will learn the principles of scuba and surface-supplied diving along with underwater welding and cutting.

The Army teaches divers how to use and care for hand and power tools as well as maintaining diving equipment.

Lastly, the Army introduces divers to handling and implementing underwater explosives.

Duty Stations

Those serving in the Army as an MOS 12D can expect to be potentially based at one of the following duty stations:

Inside the Continental US (CONUS)
          • Ft. Eustis, VA
          Outside the Continental US (OCONUS)
          • Shafter, HI
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: How many enlisted female Army Divers have there been?
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Nahshon Eppley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Army has several news articles available on their website that relate specifically to female divers. According to this article from March 25, 2013, for example, there had been only four female divers in the history of the U.S. Army, and this article from March 5, 2020 states that there was only one enlisted female diver currently serving in the Army. You may be able to locate more relevant information by searching their website. In addition, we suggest that you contact the Army Public Affairs Office to see if they can offer any further assistance.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful