1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2021 12:21 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Replacing a Lost WWII era DD214?

    Bruce Kitchen Newbie

      Any suggestions on how to replace a missing DD 214 that was probably destroyed in the 1973 fire at Personnel Record Center? Not able to find one in his personal effects.  Was a DD 214 required to obtain GI Bill benefits?



        • Re: Replacing a Lost WWII era DD214?
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Kitchen,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of the individual’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          The full text of the Servicemen's Readjustment Act (GI Bill of Rights) from June 22, 1944 was published in the series Enrolled Acts and Resolutions of Congress, 1789-2013 in the General Records of the United States Government (Record Group 11) and has been digitized and can be viewed online using the Catalog.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Program Files, 1953-1981 and the series News Clippings, 1948-1978 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that may contain some information about requirements related to proof of service and the GI Bill. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.


          Please note that the requirements for proof of service to take advantage of the benefits of the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act (GI Bill) may have varied from program to program or may have changed over time. Please let us know if you are interested in the requirements of a specific program (e.g. an education or home loan program), and we may be able to direct you to additional potentially relevant records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides an online History and Timeline of the GI Bill, and the National World War II Museum also has more information online about The GI Bill as well. You may wish to contact them directly for further assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!