2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2021 6:58 AM by Cynthia Gayton

Seeking DC Police records relating to suicides

Cynthia Gayton Newbie

I am looking for Washington DC Metropolitan Police records for suicides in DC between 1900 and 1910. I have the statistics from the Commissioner reports, but I want to know if there are actual or individual reports with facts other than names and dates of death. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking DC Police records relating to suicides
          Marcus Bacher Adventurer

Dear Ms. Gayton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 8 series in the Records of the Government of the District of Columbia (Record Group 351) that pertain to the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police during the early 1900s. While we did not find Metropolitan Police reports specifically relating to the subject of suicide, the series of Blotters, 9/1862 - 5/31/1933 may be helpful. Volumes dated before the 1930s usually give detailed chronological accounts of the activities of the force, including reports of crimes, complaints, arrests, investigations, and other information. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For vital records information such as deaths, please contact the District of Columbia Archives.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful