6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2021 2:04 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking personal papers of DN Shannon

Kendra Stephenson Wayfarer

I've looked at Confederate Papers Relating to Citizens or Business Firms, 1861-65 and found a record for J.F. Stephenson that lists him as a prisoner in Galveston in May of 1864. The document says to review the personal papers of DN Shannon for more information. How do I find that?

Confederate Papers Relating to Citizens or Business Firms, 1861-65 JF StephensonJF Stephenson Service Record

• Re: Seeking personal papers of DN Shannon
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Kendra,

Found this please copy and paste the link. https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/ricewrc/00158/rice-00158.html

Additional you can view what was in those papers here. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/199620797

1 person found this helpful

Thank you so much!

Here's where I'm at and being relatively new to this, any feedback or tips would be much appreciated.

1. J.F. Stephenson enlisted with Elsmore's Regiment in 1862 at Owensville; last record in his service record lists him as on sick leave from Dec 15 - Jan 15; there are no records after that.

2. It may be that the records have confused J.F. and J.H Stephenson at some points. I'm basing this on J.H. Stephenson's service record showing he enlisted with Elsmore's Regiment also in 1862 at Owensville. J.H. service record also contains a record from Jan/Feb 1863 that lists him as dying in Robertson Co on December 25, 1862. However a Mar/Apr 1863 record lists him as last paid Feb 28, 1863, present and contains a note that he was seen in hospital. There's a record indicating he was on an undated list of officers and enlisted men as being absent; and the last record dated Nov 9, 1863 listing JH as being transferred from Elsmore's Regiment to 2nd Engineering Troop.

3. J.F. Stephenson mentioned in DN Shannon's papers - there's not enough information to accurately identify who this person was. There are other J.F. Stephenson's that served in the Confederate Army.

How likely is it that the record of J.H. Stephenson dying is actually a record of J.F. Stephenson dying?

Would the J.F. Stephenson mentioned in DN Shannon's papers have necessarily been from Texas or could he have been from another state and just caught and arrested by Texas Troops? I think the answer to this is yes but again, this is the first time I've ever looked at military records.

Completely understand if you don't have the time to answer my questions!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Kendra,

Found this burial, please follow link.  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/14648333/james-henry-stephenson

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/14648531/john-wesley-stephenson

There are many possibilities that could have transpired have been through many confederate documents for all Stephensons of Texas all ranging in name from J.H, J.F. J.G. J.D Stephenson's. For the question related to him being sick in the hospital and death on a different muster roll could have been in error they may have not known is whereabouts or if he left on his own will, or if his transfer to the 2nd ENG was done through the proper channels. Now keeping in mind in those days telegrams and regimental mail was slow. So it originally may have thought he was deceased, but in actuality he left on his own good will and returned to his unit upon transfer. Making the individuals believe that he was deceased.

Also I found two different J.H. Stepensons here are the death index for Texas and the counties the death occurred.

NAME:J. H. Stephenson
                  DEATH DATE:30 Sep 1918
                  DEATH COUNTY:Comanche
                  CERTIFICATE:33560

NAME:J. H. Stephenson
                  DEATH DATE:12 Sep 1916
                  DEATH COUNTY:Runnels
                  CERTIFICATE:21796

Also found Texas Muster roll index cards:

However, I found something that you may have seen or not but a CSA Pension application record for J.H. Stephenson please see below.

1 person found this helpful
                Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Ms. Stephenson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Papers of and Relating to Military and Civilian Personnel, 1874-1899 in the War Department Collection of Confederate Records (Record Group 109) that includes the Records related to D N Shannon. These records have been digitized and, as Mr. Schneider has noted, may be viewed online using the Catalog. Please contact the National Archives at Washington, D.C. - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov with questions about these and similar records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Thanks for your help!

I do have some follow-up questions but I'm not sure if you can help me answer those.

1. J.F. Stephenson enlisted with Elsmore's Regiment in 1862 at Owensville; last record in his service record lists him as on sick leave from Dec 15 - Jan 15; there are no records after that.

2. It may be that the records have confused J.F. and J.H Stephenson at some points. I'm basing this on J.H. Stephenson's service record showing he enlisted with Elsmore's Regiment also in 1862 at Owensville. J.H. service record also contains a record from Jan/Feb 1863 that lists him as dying in Robertson Co on December 25, 1862. However a Mar/Apr 1863 record lists him as last paid Feb 28, 1863, present and contains a note that he was seen in hospital. There's a record indicating he was on an undated list of officers and enlisted men as being absent; and the last record dated Nov 9, 1863 listing JH as being transferred from Elsmore's Regiment to 2nd Engineering Troop. Clearly he didn't die in 1862.

3. J.F. Stephenson mentioned in DN Shannon's papers - there's not enough information to accurately identify who this person was. There are other J.F. Stephenson's that served in the Confederate Army.

How likely is it that the record of J.H. Stephenson dying is actually a record of J.F. Stephenson dying?

Would the J.F. Stephenson mentioned in DN Shannon's papers have necessarily been from Texas or could he have been from another state and just caught and arrested by Texas Troops? I think the answer to this is yes but again, this is the first time I've ever looked at military records.

Completely understand if you don't have the time to answer my questions!

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Stephenson,

Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Confederate Organizations , 1903 - 1927 in the War Department Collection of Confederate Records (Record Group 109) that may contain the compiled military service record (CMSR) of J.H Stephenson of the 20th Regiment, Texas Infantry (Elmore's). Please note that these records were not created during the war, but were instead created between 1903 and 1927 from information abstracted from Union prison and parole records and from captured and other surviving Confederate records. It is possible that many of the original records pertaining to this individual did not survive when the War Department began creating the CMSRs in 1903. It is also possible that errors were made either in the original records or in the consolidated records. This is especially true when there were common names or similar names that may have been confused with other individuals with that name. However, we can not be sure what the explanation is for the inconsistencies that you found. We also located Record Books of Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Offices of the Confederate Government and Confederate Muster and Pay Rolls in Record Group 109 that may contain records of the 20th Regiment, Texas Infantry (Elmore's). These series consist of records of the government of the Confederate States of America that were either captured by Union forces, surrendered by Confederate forces or officers, or donated or purchased by the Federal government. In many cases the records of individual units are missing or incomplete. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For Confederate volunteer units raised by Texas, there may be additional information in the custody of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Also, the staff of the Texas State Historical Association, the Bullock Texas State History Museum, and the Texas Military Forces Museum may be able to assist you with your research.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!