3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2021 10:59 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking deck logs of USS General W A Mann

    Donna Hoghaug Newbie

      Hello, I am trying to find information from October 29, 1955 when a relative was on this ship. How do I start ?

        • Re: Seeking deck logs of USS General W A Mann
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have the individuals name, DOB and where they were born. This will greatly help some of us Identifying the individual on the muster rolls.

          • Re: Seeking deck logs of USS General W A Mann
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Hoghaug,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS W A Mann (AP-112) for October 1955. For more information about the non-digitized deck logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            We also located the Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1949 - 12/31/1971 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls of the USS W. A. Mann (AP-112 for October 29, 1955. The original 16mm microfilm had been digitized and the images are available via the Catalog. A number of images may be illegible due to the poor quality of the original microfilm that was transferred to NARA by the Department of the Navy.  The original paper records were destroyed by the Navy after filming. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact RDT2.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            For any additional information about the USS General W. A. Mann, please review the ship history on the Naval History & Heritage Command website.


            We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!