5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2021 1:37 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking burial Information for Nathaniel Mendenhall, Joseph & Jacob Edwards

Mike Horvath Newbie

When I started doing my family tree, I found 3 relatives who fought for the North in the Civil War and something drew me to them. I would like to have at least digitized copies of any photos of them (if any), as well as where at least 2 are buried. My 3x Great-Grandfather (Nathaniel Mendenhall) who died in the Battle of Chickamauga. He served in the 40th Ohio Infantry, Company I. I have copies of his muster records and some other stuff I found on Ancestry. I checked the National Park in Chickamauga, as well as The Mendenhall Family Association, and they can't locate anything either.  My 1st Cousin 4x Removed (Joseph Edwards) died 4 March 1863 at Regimental Hospital and served in the 116th Illinois Infantry. My 1st Cousin 4x Removed (Jacob Edwards) died in the explosion of the Steamboat Sultana. He served in the same unit as his uncle Nathaniel Mendenhall (See Above). He was captured on 09/20/1863 and was held prisoner at Andersonville.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking burial Information for Nathaniel Mendenhall, Joseph & Jacob Edwards
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Mike,

Information on Joseph Edwards I found the state of Illinois has a Honor roll lookup here is what's on their website and where they are buried. https://apps.ilsos.gov/isaveterans/honor1929Search.do

NameWarCompanyUnitVolumePageCountyCemetery
          EDWARDS, JOSEPHCIVILI55 IL INF247LA SALLETROY GROVE
          EDWARDS, JOSEPHCIVILF99 IL INF2391PIKEPARK LAWN
          EDWARDS, JOSEPH FRANKWW 1USS SEATTLE1959KANEMT OLIVET
          EDWARDS, JOSEPH HCIVILD154 IL INF161BONDMAXEY
          EDWARDS, JOSEPH RCIVILL7 IL CAV11014KNOXABINGDON

Name:Joseph Edwards
          Enlistment Date:13 Aug 1862
          Enlistment Rank:Private
          Muster Date:6 Sep 1862
          Muster Place:Illinois
          Muster Company:H
          Muster Regiment:116th Infantry
          Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
          Muster Information:Enlisted
          Muster Out Date:4 Mar 1863
          Muster Out Place:Young's Point, Louisiana
          Muster Out Information:died
          Side of War:Union
          Survived War?:No
          Residence Place:Oconee, Illinois
          Title:Illinois: Roster of Officers and Enlisted Men

Here is some information on Nathaniel Mendenhall or in this case I found under Nathan. Please see the widows veterans schedule for his wife it shows right person unit 40th OVI and states indeed was KIA at Chichamunga.

Plus here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/21131380/nathan-stubbs-mendenhall

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking burial Information for Nathaniel Mendenhall, Joseph & Jacob Edwards
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Mr. Horvath,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Because photography as a medium was still in its infancy during the Civil War, it is unlikely that any photographs of your ancestors exist. We suggest that you contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov for assistance. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, such as full names, dates of interest, locations, and military unit numbers.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Registers of Deceased Volunteer Soldiers, 1861-1864 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1762-1917 (Record Group 94) that may include Nathaniel Mendenhall. The registers list the name, rank, organization, date of death, cause and place of death, by whom the report was forwarded, inventory and clothing account, and remarks for Union volunteer soldiers who died during the Civil War. We also located the series Record of Headstone Contracts and U.S. Soldiers' Burials, 1861-1903 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that may include a card of the headstones provided for your deceased Union Civil War veterans. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Often the burial information provided for Union soldiers would depend on the unit or hospital and the location of his death. We searched the Catalog and located 10 series in the Record Group 92 that may include the information you seek about the burial of Joseph Edwards. We located 8 series related to regimental hospitals in Record Group 94 that may be relevant as well. Next, we located the series Regimental and Company Books of Civil War Volunteer Union Organizations, 1861-1867 in Record Group 94 that contains the file Regimental and Company Books of the 116th Illinois Infantry Regiment, which includes the items Regimental Descriptive and Consolidated Morning Reports Book, Morning Reports for Companies A - E, and Morning Reports for Companies F - K. Plus, we located the Indexes to Records of Civil War Hospitals in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that index post, general, and regimental hospitals in existence during the period 1861-1866. They show the name and location of the hospital or organization and the records on file, including hospital registers, prescription books, and other types of medical records. For assistance with these records, please contact RDT1.

In addition, we located the series Records Relating to the Sultana Disaster, 1865 in the Records of the Commissary General of Prisoners (Record Group 249) that may contain some information related to Jacob Edwards. We also located 15 series related to Andersonville Prison in Record Group 249 that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDT1 for more information about them.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!