6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2021 1:57 PM by Janet Crowe

Seeking records of the 3010th USAAF

Janet Crowe Wayfarer

I understand the problems with Covid at Archives. I will not submit my request as it is not an emergency. However, can someone tell me more about the 3010th Division of USAAF during WW2? It is about my late father-in-law who trained at Fort Crowder and somewhere in Tennessee but we don't know enough. Thanks

• Re: Seeking records of the 3010th USAAF
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Janet,

The unit was 3010th USAAF BU. Most likely this is what was on his discharge papers it where the individual last known duty station was at when he came back upon completion of service. To find out his war unit you will have to obtain his full military file and find morning reports starting backwards from that 3010th BU when he transferred in and what unit he was with before being transferred into that 3010th USAAF BU.

Here is some information on the dates and where the 3010th USAAF BU was located.

Williams Field, Mesa, AZ

Army Air Forces Advanced Flying School (Two Engine)/Army Air Forces Pilot School (Advanced, Two Engine); 26 June 1941–1 June 1948

89th Air Base Squadron/89th Base Headquarters and Air Base Squadron; 4 December 1941–30 April 1944

3010th Army Air Forces Base Unit/3010th Air Force Base Unit; 1 May 1944–28 August 1948

1 person found this helpful
            Janet Crowe Wayfarer

Elliot

Many MANY thanks for this input..it helps. I keep at this as I know my father in law was a good man and loved his country and was proud to serve. He just didn't say much about his service years and we are trying to learn more. I will let you know how we make out BUT we certainly appreciated your taking time to help us

Janet and Steve

Robert Crumley Adventurer

Dear Ms. Crowe,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To determine how long he served with the 3010th, we suggest searching the unit’s morning reports. Morning reports for Army Air Force units (from November 1, 1912 to August 1947) and Air Force units (from September 1947 to June 30, 1966) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you call (334) 953-5697 or write to the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Alex Daverede Adventurer

Janet,

To follow up on what Elliot and Robert have posted here, your father-in-law was assigned to an Army Air Force Base Unit, in this case the 3010 Air Force Base Unit assigned to Williams Army Air Force Base from May of 1944 to November 1948.  AAF Base Units essentially ran the air bases to which they were assigned, as the operational units assigned to them merely occupied the bases to perform their missions. 

Your father-in-law, depending on the skills he learned at Fort Crowder and elsewhere, would have been part of the base support echelon, performing any of the duties needed to keep a base operational, from administration and law enforcement to supply and logistics, base facilities management/maintenance to food service and exchange operations.  The Base Units were crucial to the proper functioning of the base proper as the base’s assigned operational units were not resourced to perform any base functions.  The job(s) your father-in-law held immediately after the war may reflect the kind of work he performed at Williams during the war.

I hope you find this information helpful in your research.

A. J.

Janet Crowe Wayfarer

Alex...and again to Elliot and Robert

I cannot thank you enough for your replies, your advice and your genuine great hearts in helping us with this. I am respecting the Archives wish for only "emergency" requests and trust and hope for all their safety and return...till then I will keep doing all I can and YOU have been great. With each of your replies I have learned more. I only know from his photos that he was AAF 3010th and was at Fort Crowder. I wish I could find more about Williams...we do know he was stationed in Tennessee as well but we have no details.

As I progress I promise to let you know but my intent with this note was just to say thank you.

Janet