3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2021 2:04 PM by Legislative Archives

Seeking HUAC Reports from Dies Committee

Michael Callahan Wayfarer

A local archive has a collection of typewritten pages that reference the following document "U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee [HUAC]: Dies Committee Activities of Nazi Groups Part I: German-American Bund: Ch. 4, September 1938" as well as others.  It appears this was part of a major series of reports issued in 1938 and again in 1939.

I have reviewed the two finding aids for the Dies Committee and find no reference to this work.  I have also downloaded and reviewed all of the public hearings, executive hearings, and executive summary reports for the Dies Committee, but I cannot find this specific reference.  Any help is appreciated.

• Re: Seeking HUAC Reports from Dies Committee
          Legislative Archives Scout

Hi Michael -- thanks for posting to History Hub!

I'd recommend starting with the Cumulative Index to Publications of the Committee on Un-American Activities, 1938-1954, which is freely available online through the Internet Archive. It's the index to individuals, publications, and organizations referred to in printed hearings and reports of both the Dies Committee and it's successor -- the Committee on Un-American Activities (commonly referred to as HUAC) through 1954.

German-American Bund has a number of citations listed on pages 1147-1148 of the Index. To look up any of these citations, turn to the Key to Symbols sections at the beginning of the Index. Most publications can be found freely available online through sites like HathiTrust, Google Books, and the Internet Archive.

We hold the official records of the Dies Committee here at the Center for Legislative Archives. I checked our finding aid and see there are 29 boxes identified as 'Nazi Subject Files', but I don't have further detail about those boxes. If you'd like to see our finding aid for Dies Committee records or inquire about access to these records, please email us at legislative.archives@nara.gov.

Lastly, I did some general searching and came across an entry for 'Summary Report on Activities of Nazi Groups, Vol. 4' related to the Dies Committee in the papers of Representative Jerry Voorhis held by the Claremont Colleges Library -- it's a similar enough title to what you're referencing that you might want to email the Library at specialcollections@claremont.edu.

Cheers!

Sarah

2 people found this helpful
              Michael Callahan Wayfarer

Thank you for the help.  I did review the Cumulative Index prior to posting but I did not see this document.  I have all of the reports available and they are mostly testimony from hearings and the executive summary reports.  There were all printed by the US Printing Office.

The report I am trying to find is maybe 1,000 type written pages.  I know that a copy is available at the CA State University Northridge archive, but one would need to scan all of the pages one by one (it was typed on very thin onion paper).  I was hoping that a scanned copy would be available in the HUAC archive.

The Claremont archive is an interesting lead.  I was not aware that they held any Bund related information. I will follow up with them to find out what they have.  Thanks.

Legislative Archives Scout

Hi Michael --

While it's possible we hold the report you're looking for, it's extremely unlikely to be already scanned. A very, very small percentage of our holdings of House and Senate records are fully digitized -- NARA's Record Group Explorer does a good job visualizing digitization efforts across our agency.

Almost everything we've digitized from HUAC records is in the National Archives Catalog -- it looks like that's primarily a series of minutes of full and subcommittee meetings from the 80th-93rd Congresses.

I did check in with my colleagues and found that one had a PDF saved from request she'd worked on a couple years ago that looks relevant to your request -- it's an excerpt from a 1937 file titled Investigation of the FBI into Nazi Training Camps in the US and references the German-American Bund.

I don't think there's an easy way to attach a PDF to a History Hub response, but if you're interested please email us at legislative.archives@nara.gov and I can pass it along to you.

Cheers!

Sarah