3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2021 12:13 PM by Zachary Dabbs

Seeking passenger ship listing for Anna Dubinsky

Robert Machuga Adventurer

I am trying to locate the passenger ship list for my grandmother Anna Dubinsky.  She is said to have arrived at the Port of Philadelphia immigration station sometime in 1912.  Anna was born on November 19, 1896 in the village of Jakubjany in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (present day Slovakia).  Supposedly, she was brought over to America by an unknown uncle who lived in Port Vue, Pennsylvania.  Anna would have been 15 or 16 years old at the time.  I am not certain where Anna lived in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, but I know that she was employed at both the Hotel Henry and the Monongahela House in Pittsburgh.  I know Anna’s history after the early part of 1913.

Anna’s father, Joseph Dubinsky, immigrated to the Johnstown, Pennsylvania area sometime during the 1880’s.  He was a carpenter by trade.  The family story is that Joseph was living in Windber, Pennsylvania when he allegedly witnessed the catastrophic Johnstown Flood of 1889 that killed 2,209 people.  Joseph could not bring his wife to America because she was deathly afraid of the ocean.  So he ended up making several trips back and forth between the U.S. and Jakubjany; the dates of these trips I do not know.  I believe his last trip back to Jakubjany was supposedly in 1913.  With the start of World War I, Joseph was drafted into the Austro-Hungarian army and served on the Italian front; and afterwards, he purportedly died of complications attributed to the war.

Joseph Dubinsky’s only son (and Anna's brother), also called Joseph Dubinsky, was born on April 10, 1900.  Joseph served on the Italian front with the Austro-Hungarian army, and then in the army of the new Czechoslovak Republic.  He came to Central City in Cambria County, Pennsylvania probably sometime in 1924, and worked as a coal miner for the Berwind-White Coal Company.  It appears that Joseph moved to Arnold, Pennsylvania by February of 1925, if not sooner.  He was living in New Kensington, Pennsylvania when tragically he died on September 11, 1933 in a coal mine explosion at the nearby Barking coal mine.