1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2021 9:27 AM by Jason Atkinson

Where can I locate interviews with first responders from 9/11?

history fan Adventurer

Is there anywhere that I can locate interviews with first responders from September 11 online?

I was able to locate a few statements from witnesses on 9/11 Commission site but wasn't sure if there was another source.

Thanks for your assistance!

• Re: Where can I locate interviews with first responders from 9/11?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear History Fan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

During the 9/11 Commission's investigation, commission staff conducted over 1200 fact-finding interviews. The Memoranda for the Record (MFRs) are summaries of these interviews, and are available in the National Archives Catalog. The National Archives web page 9/11 Commission Memoranda for the Record (MFRs) provides a list of these MFRs To quickly search for a name in the linked list, hold down the "Ctrl" and "F" keys, and then type in the name you are looking for in the search box that appears. Once you identify the MFRs that you would like to view, use the corresponding National Archives Identifier to search the National Archives Catalog. Some of the interviewees hold or formerly held sensitive positions that do not allow their names and/or details of their activities to be released. Consequently, some names in the list are protected.

To facilitate interviews with New York City first responders, the Commission entered into an agreement with the City to keep the interviews confidential for a period of at least 25 years. The National Archives is honoring that agreement. The interviews of certain high-ranking New York City officials, as well as former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, have been reviewed and released.

The 9/11 Memorial Museum’s oral history collection documents the history of 9/11 through recorded interviews with responders, survivors, 9/11 family members, and others deeply affected by the attacks at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The New York Times has published more than 12,000 pages of oral histories rendered in the voices of 503 firefighters, paramedics, and emergency medical technicians.

The September 11, 2001 Oral History Narrative and Memory Project was a joint effort between INCITE and the Columbia Center for Oral History (CCOH), with generous contributions from the National Science Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation and Columbia University. The project, implemented in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, collected several hundred life-history interviews from a wide range of individuals affected by the attacks. Many of these are available on the CCOH's Oral History Interviews Portal.

Additionally, FBI has some oral histories online at Remembering 9/11: Attacks 20 Years Ago Shaped Today’s FBI.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful