3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2021 3:14 PM by Rebecca Collier Branched to a new discussion.

Seeking correspondence between Navy and AGRS

TED MIKITA Newbie

I am looking for any correspondence between Naval Authorities in Palau with the American Graves Registration Service in Manila (Recovery and Identification branches) in 1947 -1949 about the discovery and recovery of MIA airman shot down over Palau during WWII.  Where might I find this?  I've already looked at some NARA GRS records and also have copies of the IDPF's of the airmen in question.  I just have not found much for communications between the islands in SOPAC/Western Carolines with the authorities in Manila that reported remains and asking that they be recovered.

• Re: Seeking correspondence between Navy and AGRS
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Mikita,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the General Correspondence Files, 8/1/1948 - 10/14/1949 of the Philippine Command Adjutant General in the Records of General Headquarters, Far East Command, Supreme Commander Allied Powers, and United Nations Command (Record Group 554) and the General Administrative Files, 1946 - 1951 of the Commander of the Palau District in the Records of Naval Operating Forces (Record Group 313) that may include communications between the Navy and the Army (especially the Army Grave Registration Service) after WW2 pertaining to the remains of the airmen. We also located the  General Correspondence Relating to Organizations, 1939 - 1954 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that include casualties and burials [under 314.6 T/O (Far East) Weekly Burial Reports or 314.6 T/O (Pacific) Weekly Burial Reports].  These files may include the recovery and burial of the airmen. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[assisted by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful