1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2021 10:04 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking military records about Cyril J Marshall

Lara Whitt Newbie

I am the granddaughter of Cyril Justin Marshall. My mom has his letters from his mother. We are researching into his life's journey. However, I am unable to locate information about my grandfather through Ancesty.com, Fold3.com, National Archives, and Navy. I would be gratefully for any help or directions to search. I have this information: Cyril Justin Marshall (search for "C J Marshall", nickname "Cy"), born on October 16, 1919 and died on March 18, 1984; Skills Boat Mechanic; Joined Civilian Conservation Corps Camps, Oregon 1938 Oct - Sept 1939 (from reference letters written to his mother); his friends: "Three Musketeers" were Paul, GaGa from Georgia & Cyril Marshall; in World War 2 he served in the Navy from his enlistment  on 20 Mar 1942 to his discharge on 23 Oct 1945; 1942, was in the African front / Back in US 1943 (from reference letters written to his mother);  Minnesota (after 1944) - he went to training school (from reference letters written to his mother);  Found "C J Marshall" Naval Ships log for USS Stratford AP-41 (lists a Sgm C J Marshall) (reference, Fold3.com); SS GEORGE WASHINGTON (reference, Fold3.com); Florida, U.S., Arriving and Departing Passenger and Crew Lists, 1898-1963 for Cyril Marshall (26 yrs old); Serial Number 1716; A3621 - Arriving at Miami, Florida, 1899 - 1948; SAILING FROM KINSTON JAMICA B.W.I 1945 (5/8/45); B.W.I, St Thomas - Visa, I-100No,J  42797 (Visa#). Thank you for your efforts.

• Re: Seeking military records about Cyril J Marshall
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Whitt,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. His OMPF will indicate which ships or unit he served with.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Individual Records (Enrollees), 1933 - 1943 in the Records of the U.S. Civil Service Commission (Record Group 146) that may include a record for Cyril Justin Marshall. Please submit a NA Form 14136, Request Pertaining to Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Personnel Records to the address on the form and include as much information as possible to assist in identifying the correct record. For any questions, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.

If you can identify the ships he served on rather than being transported, we located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Statio ns, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls for US Navy ships during World War II. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Ancestry has name searchable digitized Muster Rolls of U.S. Naval Ships and Stations for the dates of January 1,1941 thru January 1, 1949. These can be viewed online at U.S., World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949. There may be a fee for this service. Instead, you may wish to check with your local public or university library as these institutions often provide free access to Ancestry.com.

If you can identify the ships he served on rather than being transported, you may wish to check  the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in Record Group 24 and the World War II War Diaries, Other Operational Records and Histories, ca. 1/1/1942 - ca. 6/1/1946 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) to learn more about the activities of the ship. The war diaries have been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized deck logs, please contact RDT2.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships from the Naval History and Heritage Command includes brief histories of many of the ships that served during World War II.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!