2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2021 12:35 PM by Chris Tucker

    Requesting a copy of my DD-214

    James Israel Newbie

      I want to request a copy of my DD-214. How do I do that?

        • Re: Requesting a copy of my DD-214
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Israel,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated after September 30, 2002 (Army); after September 30, 2004 (Air Force); after 1994 (Navy); and after 1998 (Marine Corps) are available in electronic format via https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Requesting a copy of my DD-214
            Chris Tucker Wayfarer


            If you were have separated or retired form the military recently(within the last decade...ish), you can go on ebenefits.va.gov and under my personnel file. There you can verify, review and print documents form your official Military Personnel File, including your DD-214. It requires a DS login in which you can set up. I believe its the same information for myhealthyvet, that enables you to use Veterans Administration (VA) resources.


            If you served before the practice of digitization there is hope.

            1. Go to: https//archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
            2. Scroll down and select [Start Request Online]
            3. You will be asked:
              1. Are you requesting as the veteran or as next of kin?

            Choices are listed:

            • Veteran
            • Next of Kin of Veteran


            • Or Other
              1. Are you seeking information about current or former military service?
            1. You will need to know their branch of service/service component (Active/National Guard/Reserves). Was the veteran an Officer or Enlisted.
            2. You will be asked: which category best describes why you’re requesting these records?

            Choices Listed:

            • Benefits/Employment/Medical/Retirement/Military Awards/Corrections/Personal Military History/Genealogy/Decline to Disclose/Home Loan/Emergency Request/Other not listed
            1. You will be asked for the Veterans Name (Last/Middle First), Veteran’s Suffix. Veteran’s Social Security Number, Date of Birth, place of birth, If the veteran is deceased (date), service number (before 1971), and the date they entered and left the service.
            2. Click continue and you will be asked if you want a deleted or undeleted character of separation. This is for the protection of the service member. If they earned a bad conduct discharge yet were awarded benefits, the character has no prudence on their benefits. Then list specific documents other than the report of separation, (Awards/DD214/all documents in the file ect.).
            3. Your information, Name, Address, phone number, email address.


            Note: If you wish to request the same information via mail, go to vetrecs.archives.org print and fill out a SF-180 Request for Service Records. Then mail to: 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, MO 63138. Note that response time for requested records varies depending on the complexity of your request. They receive 4,000-5,000 requests per day and have been closed due to the COVID pandemic.


            Additionally: On 12 July 1973, there was a fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personal Files (OMPF). The records effected include.


            Personnel Discharged 1 Nov 1912- 1 Jan 1960

            80% Loss

            Air Force

            Personnel Discharged 25 Sep 47- 1 Jan 64

            75% Loss

            US Army Records- The fire didn’t involve records of retirees and Reservists who were alive on 12 July 1973.

            US Air Force- Surnames beginning with Hubbard and running through the end of the alphabet.