1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2021 8:35 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking original application for a Revolutionary War Veteran gravestone

Rollin Golden Newbie

I have a relative who fought in the Revolutionary War from Virginia in 1780/1781.    After completing two tours of duty, he moved eventually to Knox County, Tennessee about 1802. He is buried in a small cemetery in Union County, as well as his son (who was a War of 1812 vet).  Both of these veterans have military markers (same design) and I am figuring they were placed after 1896. How can I find a copy of the original application for the stone for my Rev. War ancestor? I would appreciate any help.    I have been able to find an Index Card (in microfilm) for the son listed under Civil War cards. Any clues would be appreciated.

• Re: Seeking original application for a Revolutionary War Veteran gravestone
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Golden,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The application you seek may be filed in one of several series. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Applications for Headstones in Private Cemeteries, 1909 - 1924 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that may include Revolutionary War headstone applications. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Additionally, we located Applications for Headstones, 1/1/1925 - 6/30/1970 in Record Group 92 and Applications for Headstones and Markers, 7/1/1970 - 9/30/1985 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that may include Revolutionary War headstone applications. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.

The 1/1/1925 through 6/30/1970 records have been digitized by Ancestry and may be viewed online as U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1970. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For the location of headstone applications after September 30, 1985, please contact Kim Tart or  Martin L. Hill (Alternate), Records Managers, Department of Veterans Affairs, 810 Vermont Avenue, NW Enterprise Records Service (005R1B), Washington, DC 20420. Their email addresses are kim.tart@va.gov or martin.hill@va.gov. Please request the name of the facility, transfer numbers, and box numbers.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!